A Chrome Extension that Nightcores YouTube Videos.

For Nightcore discussion in general.
NightcoreImaginality

A Chrome Extension that Nightcores YouTube Videos.

Post by NightcoreImaginality » February 3rd, 2017, 7:36 pm

Hi everyone.

I couldn't find any specific nightcore browser extensions (which I found rather odd, considering how perfect it would be), so I made one myself. It just raises the pitch and tempo of YouTube videos in real-time. It's called 'Nightcorer' (uncreative I know, but descriptive) and you can find it here (for free) on the Chrome Web Store (if you use Chrome):

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... gjockdnaao

The Web Audio API which I used is still relatively new so they we're a few things I couldn't work around which just makes it so that you have to refresh the tab sometimes to get it to work.

Anyway, hope you like it (and sorry for advertising (I don't like it either (but perhaps some of you could find it useful for at least getting a feel for how a potential nightcore might sound)))
HKO2006

Re: A Chrome Extension that Nightcores YouTube Videos.

Post by HKO2006 » February 3rd, 2017, 8:11 pm

Interesting, few suggestions.
1. number can be typed in
2. when scroll, the number changes

Maybe even expand the scroll towards -0.5 so user can slow down videos.
Welcome to Nightcore Universe! Enjoy your stay as much as you enjoy the original Nightcore songs!
Useful threads/links
What is Nightcore 101
Nightcore Channel Database
Nightcore Know Your Meme
How to make Nightcore (NIGHTCORE TUTORIAL) UPDATED
Speeding up seems to be a little magic making things a little bit more appealing.

emilemil1

Post by emilemil1 » February 3rd, 2017, 9:06 pm

You shouldn't need soundbank-pitch-shift to do nightcore. Simply setting the playBackrate.value for the audio source will do the trick.
NightcoreImaginality

Post by NightcoreImaginality » February 3rd, 2017, 9:27 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm almost done implementing those suggestions. Also, setting the playbackRate only changes the tempo. This is exactly like setting the speed from the video's settings and it produces the same effect which doesn't really sound like nightcore.
emilemil1

Post by emilemil1 » February 4th, 2017, 7:01 am

For me it changes the pitch as well, strange. Here is a demo (from the Mozilla API documentation) that works perfectly: http://mdn.github.io/decode-audio-data/

Are you sure that you are setting playBackrate.value for the Web Audio source node, and not the playBackrate for the <audio> player?
NightcoreImaginality

Post by NightcoreImaginality » February 4th, 2017, 5:08 pm

That was weird. I definitely heard it change. I didn't have the playbackRate set on the source; I had it on the <video> instead.

The next part I didn't try particularly hard to get it to work but it seems that if I only set the playbackRate on the source, the actual video remains the same speed and the sound doesn't change at all (possibly because I did something wrong (but what would tell the video to speed up if I only capture the audio from it a speed that up)). If I change both the video and source, only the video and audio speeds up without the pitch changing.

So either I set up something wrong (the source node is definitely receiving and outputting audio since if I never connect it to the destination, the video just freezes) or it acts differently because it's a video and MediaElementAudioSourceNode behaves slightly differently.

Besides, with my set up, I can change the pitch independently.
emilemil1

Post by emilemil1 » February 4th, 2017, 5:26 pm

Oh yeah, you probably need to get the audio stream manually and use it as the source instead of the video element to make it work properly, maybe too much work compared to a pitch shift algorithm :P