How often to upload? Game Theory: YouTube IS Broken

About YouTube videos, copyright, and culture.
HKO2006

How often to upload? Game Theory: YouTube IS Broken

Post by HKO2006 » February 16th, 2015, 8:01 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLJQ0gFHM8s

So uploading too often may make your subs to skip and skip too much makes YouTube thinks the subs are not interested any more. So what is the ideal upload schedule (for nightcore videos)? Ideas?
Welcome to Nightcore Universe! Enjoy your stay as much as you enjoy the original Nightcore songs!
Useful threads/links
What is Nightcore 101
Nightcore Channel Database
Nightcore Know Your Meme
How to make Nightcore (NIGHTCORE TUTORIAL) UPDATED
Speeding up seems to be a little magic making things a little bit more appealing.

Vitacx97

Re: How often to upload? Game Theory: YouTube IS Broken

Post by Vitacx97 » February 16th, 2015, 8:12 am

My uploads are all over the place. Originally I'd upload at-least once every two weeks but now this seems like a bit too long of a gap between uploads, so I'm trying to upload once per week from here on out.

I'd say anywhere from 2 to 5 days is a good schedule. That way your subscribers have something to look forward to and won't be overwhelmed by a massive cluster of new uploads. Uploading on a specific day is probably a good idea too.
emilemil1

Post by emilemil1 » February 16th, 2015, 9:49 am

I depends on what you're aiming for: views, subscriber count, or dedicated subscriber count (ratio between total subscribers and subscribers who watch your videos).

For views it's definitely best to just spam as much as possible. The more videos you have up. the less each of them has to be viewed for a greater total view count (on your channel as a whole, not per individual video). It also gives you a better chance of accidentally nightcoring that one song that happens to skyrocket in popularity. I'm talking ridiculous amounts here, like 3-5 videos a day or even more. You're not caring at all about subscribers viewing your videos here, just random people who happen to pass by.

For subscribers you still want to upload a lot, since you want to reach as big of an audience as possible, but you also want somewhat of a schedule, you need to have a bit more quality in your videos, and you can't spam quite as much as if you're just looking for views. This is obviously because people will unsubscribe to you if you're being way too obnoxious. 0.5-2 videos a day should be about right for this goal.

For dedicated subscribers you don't want to upload much at all, twice a week maximum. The more rare your videos are, the more valuable they become, even though they might not be of higher quality than those by someone who uploads far more often. Your goal here is to satisfy the subscribers you already have, as opposed to putting all your effort into reeling in more people. As Vitacx said though, don't upload too infrequently or you might get irrelevant. This is especially important if some other Nightcore uploader is targeting the same content as you are, since you then need to give people a reason to choose you over him, and that reason is never going to be "I upload once every 3 months."

(This is just my thoughts on Nightcore channels in particular. It won't be the same for, say, a let's play channel.)

EDIT: None of these are especially good for making money off of YouTube at all, that's another matter :P

EDIT2: Also a note on that video in particular. Video filtering on the subscriber feed only happens if you're subscribed to so many things that you're not watching all of it. If you're only subscribed to things you care about, if you do watch every single thing in your subscriber feed, then YouTube won't filter out anything. I know this because I've never ever had a video not show up in my feed.
Last edited by emilemil1 on February 16th, 2015, 10:27 am, edited 5 times in total.
Tranceformer

Post by Tranceformer » February 16th, 2015, 10:14 am

I upload every Monday and Thursday one Track so i have always 2 or 3 days left between two uploads, but that doesn't match to my specials. (rarely 3 a week but most usual 1 one in two weeks)
LonelyLittleAngel
Respected Donator
Respected Donator

Post by LonelyLittleAngel » February 17th, 2015, 9:28 am

I upload whenever I have somethiong to upload, I have so many songs to nightcore still. Which is over 100 of them. I usually upload everyday, mostly in the summer.
sorry quotes from me are illegal in other people's signatures sry
Jumpcore thats what the bass is for.