Different Types of Trance?

Anything and everything that doesn't fit in another section.
Monster

Different Types of Trance?

Post by Monster » April 1st, 2013, 3:43 pm

I've Noticed that when you type in "Trance" on youtube, a different type of Electronic Music also Dubbed "Trance" comes up. Its like Armin Van Buren Trance and stuff like that.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... 3YHkgli_8Q
Songs like this:

This music is still good, but its not the Trance with Kawaii pictures and it sounds different This is what I mean:

The second two videos are the stuff that I like. But I think that the first two videos, that genre of music, came first, and when most people (not us) think of "Trance" this is what they think of. I asked someone who was into this kinda music (the first two vids) if they knew DJ Contacreast and DJ Splash and Maikel631 and he said he never heard of them. So I'm confused. I like Trance, and he likes Trance, but we are into two different genres of music with the same name. So I asked if he new Dream Trance and he said it wasn't and official genre, so then he was confusing me even more. Most people (in the USA anyways) never heard of the Trance that we listen to and think of Trance as the first two videos. So my question is this: Why do uploaders put the "Trance" tag in front of their videos and call it Trance if another genre of music called Trance already exists? Shouldn't we call it something else?
License! Thanks Namahage!
Kestrel0907

Re: Different Types of Trance?

Post by Kestrel0907 » April 1st, 2013, 4:13 pm

This is a hobby of today's youtube uploaders to "serialize" their uploads, Maikel does this as well and if you read his channel's description trance just stands for some of his series of not-nightcores, to make a difference to his Nightcore series.
The first "kawaii" song is in a genre called handsup, a electronic genre made up by germans in the 90's(and is still being produced, but it's a very underground genre, you guys know of the old Basshunter and Skysplash?This is handsup.) made by combining trance, Uk/happy hardcore and hardstyle.
The second one is considered to be hard trance, because it's the very first form of hardstyle ever made.
But however in my opinion it can be considered hard handsup because trance ia more likely to be nowadays known as to that done by Armin Van Buuren...etc
As for Contacreast, it's really dreamtrance and Splash's music is to be considered as trancy handsup because it is a little bit aimilar to trance and it's very different from many other handsup styles you'll find(as a note Dj Ness produces this kind of handsup that Splash did and labels them in his videos as Dream Handsup)
Hope i "enlightened" you with something and well, you now know why i'm insisting of using the term of handsup on many other topics. ;p
Monster

Post by Monster » April 1st, 2013, 5:17 pm

Kestrel0907 wrote:This is a hobby of today's youtube uploaders to "serialize" their uploads, Maikel does this as well and if you read his channel's description trance just stands for some of his series of not-nightcores, to make a difference to his Nightcore series.
The first "kawaii" song is in a genre called handsup, a electronic genre made up by germans in the 90's(and is still being produced, but it's a very underground genre, you guys know of the old Basshunter and Skysplash?This is handsup.) made by combining trance, Uk/happy hardcore and hardstyle.
The second one is considered to be hard trance, because it's the very first form of hardstyle ever made.
But however in my opinion it can be considered hard handsup because trance ia more likely to be nowadays known as to that done by Armin Van Buuren...etc
As for Contacreast, it's really dreamtrance and Splash's music is to be considered as trancy handsup because it is a little bit aimilar to trance and it's very different from many other handsup styles you'll find(as a note Dj Ness produces this kind of handsup that Splash did and labels them in his videos as Dream Handsup)
Hope i "enlightened" you with something and well, you now know why i'm insisting of using the term of handsup on many other topics. ;p
I have been enlightened thanks kestrel. But the stuff that Conta and Splash make... if they are calling it Dream Trance then maybe Dream Trance should be a official genre. And I think that its confusing that Maikel labels non Trance songs Trance but thats his deal I guess :P
Kestrel0907

Post by Kestrel0907 » April 2nd, 2013, 7:28 am

I said dj splash's music is dream handsup not trance.
Contacreast does dream trance.
Monster

Post by Monster » April 4th, 2013, 1:22 pm

This is really confusing me... if you have time do you think you could tell what type of music is each song that I posted cuz that would help me alot :D If you don't feel like it okay tho.
Kestrel0907

Post by Kestrel0907 » April 4th, 2013, 1:41 pm

Bring em' in. :)
Monster

Post by Monster » April 4th, 2013, 1:43 pm

Done!

I'm thinking this is Dream Trance becuase I think you said it before

This one has a Trance Tag but I'm not sure what it is. Its repetitive.

I'm gonna assume this one is techno but I feel like it could be put in another subgenre

This one sounds like Hardstlye but I could be wrong

This one has the tag but I'm not sure what it is

Another song with the Trance tag that isn't actually Trance

Maikel put the Trance tag on this one to. This one might actually be Trance

and thats all I got for right now, thanks :)
Kestrel0907

Post by Kestrel0907 » April 12th, 2013, 3:34 pm

1.Dream Handsup.
2.Handsup, with an original synth by Bjra.
3.Don't really know what to say about this one, a similar track Darude - Sandstorm is considered to be techno so it might be, but if it is for the very first original type of techno it isn't.
4.Dream Handsup or Jumpstyle(don't really think so because jumpstyle has a "bouncing" bass)
5.Dream Handsup.
6.Uplifting(i guess) Trance.
7.Mainstream Handsup(the one currently played on handsup radios such as technobase.fm)
Monster

Post by Monster » April 12th, 2013, 6:24 pm

Thanks Kestrel! I didn't know the genres of any of these songs and just assumed there were all "Techno" or "Trance" It seems that I really like "Dream Handsup". Is this genre popular? Where can I hear more of it?
Kestrel0907

Post by Kestrel0907 » April 13th, 2013, 4:35 am

Most of them are uploaded with the title of trance, you'll have to search for them individually.
They are mostly old music from 90's till 2008(Basshunter, Cascada, Dj Klubbingman, Dj Dean, Discotronic..Banana Inc, Tomato Inc, Manian, East Clubbers)but you can search for people that makes music that are inspored by Splash: Dj Ness(Xientec) JensJacobsen, Dj Bauz, Dj Splash, EuphoriaSound(atalis1 by ytb channel), Boosterz Inc, Dj Squash, Zestalker...
Dream handsup is different from today's handsup by different synths they use(check out technobase.fm to see what i mean)
Monster

Post by Monster » April 15th, 2013, 6:13 pm

Thanks again kestrel you're a big help :) I'm gonna check these artists out and check out technobase.fm
Scandinasia

Post by Scandinasia » October 28th, 2014, 4:44 pm

Would anyone want me to post a guide to the different trance genres ?
emilemil1

Post by emilemil1 » October 28th, 2014, 5:03 pm

Pretty much every electronic genre stems from a combination of Trance (wide, soaring sounds), House (repeated, simple sounds) and/or Electro (heavy, dirty sounds). Very few tracks nowadays can be said to belong purely to one of these genres, and as such you'll find that most are in fact in some way a subgenre of Trance.

This is what makes it so difficult to find the exact subgenre that you are looking for, since whenever someone lacks the necessary knowledge to pinpoint the exact one, they'll often just play it safe and call it Trance (or Techno... but don't get me started on that). This applies to everything from Uplifting Trance, to Eurodance, certain subgenres of Hardcore, Disco, Progressive House, and many more. Basically anything with the characteristic emotional vibe of Trance gets labeled as such.

It's a god damn mess...
HFUNightcore

Post by HFUNightcore » October 28th, 2014, 5:33 pm

Dream Hands Up? Never knew that existed but probably listened to it alot without even knowing. So the music that DJ Splash does is Dream Hands Up? Why is it called Dream Hands Up? I always thought he makes eurotrance and hands up. But his hands up sounds very differently from hands up nowadays imo. More like techno/happy hardcore/euro trance/hands up. Is Dream/Fantasy the same since there are other genres with "Fantasy" like Fantasy Trance? This is really confusing...
Scandinasia

Post by Scandinasia » October 28th, 2014, 5:45 pm

Well, there is a history of Trance music, with a culture and a legacy that continually evolved to give birth to new genres of Trance music.

What is confusing is that, in the realm of Fantasy Trance, the border between Dance, Trance and Techno is very thin.
It is less thin when it comes to Regular Trance and Psychedelic Trance, but the fact is that Trance music is a "Kirby-like" music that can absorb other musics to create fusion genres.

What I meant is to make something exposing the big genres of Trance : Classic, Progressive, Uplifting, Hard, Euro, Goa, Full-On, etc. i.e. from the point of view of the Trance scene.
emilemil1 wrote:Pretty much every electronic genre stems from a combination of Trance (wide, soaring sounds), House (repeated, simple sounds) and/or Electro (heavy, dirty sounds). Very few tracks nowadays can be said to belong purely to one of these genres, and as such you'll find that most are in fact in some way a subgenre of Trance.
I think there are more sources to EDM than the three you mentionned above. Ambient music for example isn't issued from such a combination, and I think it is true for genres such as Dub music, AggroTech or New Wave. Also, I think that a lot of genres can be said to be 99% pure House or Trance.

I can hardly that this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQVD2hTo0xk has House or Electro Influence. And I can't say that this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4va9DduFwIQ has Electro or Trance elements.
Basically anything with the characteristic emotional vibe of Trance gets labeled as such.
Some Trance-heads would hate you for saying that xD But perhaps that we're too "enclosed" in our genre, I don't know...
It's a god damn mess...
Yup.

EDIT : Dream Hands Up ?

Every Hands Up is dreamy, isn't it ? I fell like a tautology.
Last edited by Scandinasia on October 28th, 2014, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scandinasia

Post by Scandinasia » October 28th, 2014, 5:46 pm

Dream Hands Up ?

Every Hands Up is dreamy, isn't it ? I fell like a tautology.
LonelyLittleAngel
Respected Donator
Respected Donator

Post by LonelyLittleAngel » October 28th, 2014, 5:47 pm

please no spam edit your previous post please.
sorry quotes from me are illegal in other people's signatures sry
Jumpcore thats what the bass is for.
Scandinasia

Post by Scandinasia » October 28th, 2014, 5:49 pm

Oops. Is there a way to delete my previous post in order to do so ?
emilemil1

Post by emilemil1 » October 28th, 2014, 6:05 pm

There are many different types of Hands Up, but there are no "official" names for any of them. Personally I like to call them by the feeling I get from listening to them, such as Happy Hands Up, Hard/Tough Hands Up, Energetic Hands Up, etc, but even that's a pretty bad way to go about it since soundsets is so important within the genre, and almost all producers try to come up with a really unique one that makes them stand out from the rest.

Splash is Splash, and I've never found any other producer that sounds like him, so knowing which subgenre of Hands Up he belongs to would be completely pointless. The closest to him that I've found would be producers like these:

https://soundcloud.com/gilent/celebration-theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLGYsyvJtb0

I should also add that many of Splash's tracks are very generic Hands Up, nothing special, especially some of those he and Zola produced as Candy Crew: https://soundcloud.com/nick-fisker-niel ... candy-crew

I can give you at least 20 other producers who sound almost exactly like this ;)
I think there are more sources to EDM than the three you mentionned above. Ambient music for example isn't issued from such a combination, and I think it is true for genres such as Dub music, AggroTech or New Wave. Also, I think that a lot of genres can be said to be 99% pure House or Trance.
When I say "pretty much every", there are exceptions :P And I'm referring mostly to genres that are popular today, not every underground genre out there. Though I can say that AggroTech very clearly stems from Electro, and both Dub/New Wave have origins in rock & reggae, which I don't count as electronic (so they're off my radar). Ambient is definitely on its own however.

As for many genres having no House or Electro influences, that's why I wrote "and/or" :P
Some Trance-heads would hate you for saying that xD But perhaps that we're too "enclosed" in our genre, I don't know...
Don't shoot the messenger, I don't encourage the practice ^^
Last edited by emilemil1 on October 28th, 2014, 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scandinasia

Post by Scandinasia » October 28th, 2014, 6:14 pm

When I say "pretty much every", there are exceptions :P And I'm referring mostly to genres that are popular today, not every underground genre out there. Though I can say that AggroTech very clearly stems from Electro, and both Dub/New Wave have origins in rock & reggae, which I don't count as electronic. Ambient is definitely on its own however.

As for many genres having no House or Electro influences, that's why I wrote "and/or" :P
OK !Then, we do agree. Sorry, I can't prevent having an "underground" point of view -_-"
There are many different types of Hands Up, but there are no "official" names for any of them. Personally I like to call them by the feeling I get from listening to them, such as Happy Hands Up, Hard/Tough Hands Up, Energetic Hands Up, etc
That sonds interesting. Could make a list of that please ? I don't know much about Hands Up, and I'm pretty curious.
>>>> I like. Thanks. xD
emilemil1

Post by emilemil1 » October 28th, 2014, 7:49 pm

That sonds interesting. Could make a list of that please ? I don't know much about Hands Up, and I'm pretty curious.
I don't know if a list would be of much use, since whatever I personally call them wouldn't be useful in finding similar stuff. It's just a categorization I use to organize things on my drive, since putting everything in one huge Hands Up folder would be pretty messy :P

With that said, when categorizing I simply use the element that appears the most prominent to me, a common theme among each track that describes them well in one word. Don't ask me why I put one song in one category and not the other, sometimes it belongs in both and I just pick one.

---

Examples: (I completely expect everyone else to have completely different names for these ^^)
Cute Hands Up

Dream Hands Up (extends into Dream Trance territory)

??? Hands Up (don't have a name for this yet, it's a bit like the former category, but slightly darker in tone)

Trance Hands Up (tracks often end up here when they're remixes of more trancy genres)

Happy Hands Up (like the Cute category, but less cute)

Funky Hands Up (tracks that deviates in some way from the Hands Up norm)

Classic Hands Up (all sounds like what used to be the Hands Up norm X years ago)

Energetic Hands Up (any track that I find particularly energizing)

Crazy Hands Up (very energetic, in an over-the-top kinda way)

Hard Hands Up (growing in popularity commercially nowadays)

Commercial Hands Up (the commercial scene can be quite varied, but there are some patterns)

??? Hands Up (a brand new style, some modern House similarities, don't have a good name for it yet :P)

Oldschool Hands Up (a certain old vibe, can't explain this ^^ nostalgia based)

I have more categories, but if I go on any further it'd just be nitpicking about certain synths and other small details. Either way, this is a pretty good sample of the entire spectrum (as I perceive it). There are also some producers I simply can't categorize because they have none quite like them, such as Tribune and Jarno:

In public I just call them all "Hands Up" though :)

(P.S. - I'm gonna upload some of these, so no stealzies!)
3nvade

Post by 3nvade » November 22nd, 2014, 12:53 am

emilemil1 wrote:There are many different types of Hands Up, but there are no "official" names for any of them. Personally I like to call them by the feeling I get from listening to them, such as Happy Hands Up, Hard/Tough Hands Up, Energetic Hands Up, etc, but even that's a pretty bad way to go about it since soundsets is so important within the genre, and almost all producers try to come up with a really unique one that makes them stand out from the rest.

Splash is Splash, and I've never found any other producer that sounds like him, so knowing which subgenre of Hands Up he belongs to would be completely pointless. The closest to him that I've found would be producers like these:

https://soundcloud.com/gilent/celebration-theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLGYsyvJtb0

I should also add that many of Splash's tracks are very generic Hands Up, nothing special, especially some of those he and Zola produced as Candy Crew: https://soundcloud.com/nick-fisker-niel ... candy-crew

I can give you at least 20 other producers who sound almost exactly like this ;)
When I say "pretty much every", there are exceptions :P And I'm referring mostly to genres that are popular today, not every underground genre out there. Though I can say that AggroTech very clearly stems from Electro, and both Dub/New Wave have origins in rock & reggae, which I don't count as electronic (so they're off my radar). Ambient is definitely on its own however.

Don't shoot the messenger, I don't encourage the practice ^^
splash is generic ? pff
emilemil1

Post by emilemil1 » November 22nd, 2014, 6:25 am

splash is generic ? pff
I suppose you didn't read where I said: "I've never found any other producer that sounds like him" ^^

No, Splash isn't generic, he's very unique. It's a few (as in a tiny minority) of his tracks that are generic. That's the case with pretty much all producers though.