the 7 virtues

Anything and everything that doesn't fit in another section.
Wolfbrother0

the 7 virtues

Post by Wolfbrother0 » January 28th, 2011, 9:56 pm

I thought it might be interesting to get your takes on the seven virtues, what they truely mean, there interaction if any with one another, roles they play.
I'll post them with the dictonary defion

Mercy

1. compassionate or kindly forbearance shown toward an offender, an enemy, or other person in one's power; compassion, pity, or benevolence: Have mercy on the poor sinner.
2. the disposition to be compassionate or forbearing: an adversary wholly without mercy.
3. the discretionary power of a judge to pardon someone or to mitigate punishment, esp. to send to prison rather than invoke the death penalty.
4. an act of kindness, compassion, or favor: She has performed countless small mercies for her friends and neighbors.
5. something that gives evidence of divine favor; blessing: It was just a mercy we had our seat belts on when it happened.

Faith

1. confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability.
2. belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.
3. belief in god or in the doctrines or teachings of religion: the firm faith of the Pilgrims.
4. belief in anything, as a code of ethics, standards of merit, etc.: to be of the same faith with someone concerning honesty.
5. a system of religious belief: the Christian faith; the Jewish faith.
6. the obligation of loyalty or fidelity to a person, promise, engagement, etc.: Failure to appear would be breaking faith.
7. the observance of this obligation; fidelity to one's promise, oath, allegiance, etc.: He was the only one who proved his faith during our recent troubles.
8. Christian Theology . the trust in God and in His promises as made through Christ and the Scriptures by which humans are justified or saved.

Fortitude

mental and emotional strength in facing difficulty, adversity, danger, or temptation courageously: Never once did her fortitude waver during that long illness.

Hope

1.the feeling that what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best: to give up hope.
2. a particular instance of this feeling: the hope of winning.
3. grounds for this feeling in a particular instance: There is little or no hope of his recovery.
4. a person or thing in which expectations are centered: The medicine was her last hope.

Justice

1.the quality of being just; righteousness, equitableness, or moral rightness: to uphold the justice of a cause.
2. rightfulness or lawfulness, as of a claim or title; justness of ground or reason: to complain with justice.
3. the moral principle determining just conduct.
4. conformity to this principle, as manifested in conduct; just conduct, dealing, or treatment.
5. the administering of deserved punishment or reward.

Wisdom

1.the quality or state of being wise; knowledge of what is true or right coupled with just judgment as to action; sagacity, discernment, or insight.
2. scholarly knowledge or learning: the wisdom of the schools.
3. wise sayings or teachings; precepts.

Temperance

1.moderation or self-restraint in action, statement, etc.; self-control.
2. habitual moderation in the indulgence of a natural appetite or passion

And for my sins as a cat lover and a semi madman, the cutest thing ever.
Nightcored

Re: the 7 virtues

Post by Nightcored » November 22nd, 2011, 4:30 pm

The 7 virtues... Ever since I saw a documentary about it (when I was 5) I tried to achieve being able to hold all 7 of these, and use it. It is very difficult, showing mercy to a sinner, though at the end of the day, everyone is as human as everyone else. Being able to show mercy alone at all times already lift you somewhat higher in spirituality.

The way you put Faith here makes it look more like loyalty to your lord in Feudal Japan. Perhaps you should change it a little. Moving on, the virtue Faith depends on what you put your faith in. A leader, yourself to do something important, anything. Humanity has yet to achieve Faith out of free will.

Fortitude, the strength to go on even after all seems lost, has not been shown much in human history. A few examples are the last stand in The Alamo and Fushimi Castle (Feudal Japan). Only if ones faith is won that they will do whatever they have to do for a better tomorrow, that can be called fortitude. I have failed to achieve this as of yet.

Hope, often confused with Faith. The two don't differ much.

Justice. Almost impossible to achieve since everyone has his/her own view of what is justice. There is no neutral path in life.

Oh by the way, you forgot two >w>.
RaveComing
ヂュード アイム イーティング チッキン

Post by RaveComing » November 22nd, 2011, 9:59 pm

Mercy sounds cool but is a social cancer
Faith sounds cool but is a social cancer
Fortitude sounds cool, but I really don't see how it is a virtue. Willpower would be more suited.
Hope is yet another cancer
Justice... it's too much of a vague word. My sense of justice clearly isn't the same than an other person's
Wisdom sounds cool but when you think of it, isn't the person who know he is not wise the wisest person? Paradox?
Temperance is the only good virtue on the list, although it clearly depends how you interpret it.
Gracono

Post by Gracono » December 8th, 2012, 3:36 pm

I tend to lean more toward Bushido as related to the seven virtues.

Rectitude (義 gi?)--wisdom--understanding
Courage (勇氣 yūki?)--fortitude--courageous energy...that virtue has a lot to do with fighting spirit...
Benevolence (仁 jin?)---mercy--upright decision
Respect (禮 rei?)---showing respect
Honesty (誠 makoto?)---being truthful in all of your ways
Honour (名誉 meiyo?)---dignity---integrity---reputation
Loyalty (忠義 chūgi?)---this is not loyalty to others as much as it is loyalty to your own values even in the face of severe oppisition---notice gi is understanding

Chivalry--Bushido--the seven virtues--the 5 tenets of Confucius......all very much so related and virtually the same. Virtue can be a complicated individualistic thing for sure. Chivalry and Bushido were both formed in dark times and both by the upper class of noble warriors.

I deeply value maintaining my own personal dignity. Honesty and staying true to ones self. Makoto and Chuugi. Those are the virtues I try to place as the foundation of all my ways.....Virtue is too individualistic for me to feel comfortable giving a very detailed response.
Monster

Post by Monster » February 24th, 2013, 11:41 pm

RaveComing wrote:Mercy sounds cool but is a social cancer
Faith sounds cool but is a social cancer
Fortitude sounds cool, but I really don't see how it is a virtue. Willpower would be more suited.
Hope is yet another cancer
Justice... it's too much of a vague word. My sense of justice clearly isn't the same than an other person's
Wisdom sounds cool but when you think of it, isn't the person who know he is not wise the wisest person? Paradox?
Temperance is the only good virtue on the list, although it clearly depends how you interpret it.
Just curious why would you say somthing like that?

How can you say that Mercy Hope and faith are social cancers? Hope and faith are what keep me going every day. If you were hanging of the edge of a cliff and a man who you have stolen from was willing to save you and show you mercy, would you tell him he his the victim of a social cancer?

Not that I'm saying you're a horrible person I dont wanna start an arguement and I'm not hating on you I'm curious as to why you have those opinions.
License! Thanks Namahage!