What is Nightcore?

For Nightcore discussion in general.
rsslayersr

Re: What is Nightcore?

Post by rsslayersr » May 8th, 2014, 2:42 pm

Indeed, the same thought crossed my mind before. The only original songs that could have the lable 'Nightcore' -without being an edit of an already existing song- would be an original of the original Nightcore group.

This is the flaw that could never make this kind of music a genre.

You have made a wonderful song, but it's not nightcore. It's part of the already existing genres alike to Happy Hardcore. With this reasoning, it won't feel well to nightcore that creation, right? It would be wise not to nightcore a song that already is nightcored, neither does is feel right to do so with a Happy Hardcore song.
Enforcing the cute little sister of Happy Hardcore
HKO2006

Post by HKO2006 » May 8th, 2014, 3:00 pm

So far, there is no one really produced a nightcore song as when you are producing a nightcore song, it auto falls into the already existing genres like trance/dance/hands up but with a higher BPM or directly goes under happy hardcore. Nightcore is the said genres plus high pitched vocals. But I guess you can name your works nightcore (ofc they have to be at the first place) and you will be the first producer ever classifying your songs nightcore. I think it is healthy for the nightcore scene.

Nightcore version releases by actual producers
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/nightcore#industry

The following part of this reply are actual songs with pitch up vocal, none of them are classified nightcore but trance/dance/happy hardcore.

Scooter’s Nessaja and Ramp! (The logical song), what inspired Nightcore to make high pitched songs.

When Kats Lesing's vocal is pitched up, also the most popular East Clubbers' song on YouTube

Original Anima Libera by Provenzano Dj

Dj Raaban's remix, pitched up

Nightcore version of Dj Raaban's remix

Sped up version of DCX - Flying High (DJ Splash Remix)
Welcome to Nightcore Universe! Enjoy your stay as much as you enjoy the original Nightcore songs!
Useful threads/links
What is Nightcore 101
Nightcore Channel Database
Nightcore Know Your Meme
How to make Nightcore (NIGHTCORE TUTORIAL) UPDATED
Speeding up seems to be a little magic making things a little bit more appealing.

DJ Shaunathan

Post by DJ Shaunathan » May 8th, 2014, 3:02 pm

neither does is feel right to do so with a Happy Hardcore song.
Well, funny you mention that. When Happy Hardcore was big here in Southern California (Late 90's), there was a movement called "Hypersound". Hardcore DJ's at the time would start their mixes at zero pitch shift.(*see starred comment below if you're lost with this) Hypersound DJ's started their mixes at +2 to +4. The faster sound was preferred by certain dances because if you danced in half time to the music it was pretty comfortable and sustainable. You also had the added joy of listening to faster music (which everyone here can relate to). For a while, I thought the movement was local to my area, but I read interviews of big name DJ's and Producers in the Hardcore scene who would also refer to Hypersound. So since they were taking pre-recorded music, and pitching it up, they did exactly play hardcore in what would now be called a "nightcore style".

Although, it seemed that Hardcore in general moved in this direction as it evolved. Hardcore from the early 90's was typically about 130-140 BPM. By the Early 2000's the average hardcore song was 172 bpm (at least according to my copy of Serato Scratch Live). Somewhere in the 90's I recall hearing that most people agreed 180 BPM was a decent speed limit as determined by Raver dance participation on the floor. So Hypersound, became normal.

So what's my point with all this? Good question, I'm still not sure. I guess I'm saying that if it doesn't feel right to you, you're probably completely correct and that you're listening to later Hardcore music. As for the early stuff, I think we all agreed it needed to be faster.

* For those who may not be familiar with vinyl mixing, picture the pitch shift slider on a record player, having the dial in the center is "zero" meaning you're playing the record exactly at the BPM it was recorded at.
DJ Shaunathan

Post by DJ Shaunathan » May 8th, 2014, 3:04 pm

Awesome Hko! Thank you for the explanation and the links, I'll be watching those today on my lunch break.
HKO2006

Post by HKO2006 » May 8th, 2014, 3:14 pm

DJ Shaunathan wrote:
* For those who may not be familiar with vinyl mixing, picture the pitch shift slider on a record player, having the dial in the center is "zero" meaning you're playing the record exactly at the BPM it was recorded at.
Video example

In case you think it is too small
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdjHroTq7tU
Welcome to Nightcore Universe! Enjoy your stay as much as you enjoy the original Nightcore songs!
Useful threads/links
What is Nightcore 101
Nightcore Know Your Meme
Speeding up seems to be a little magic making things a little bit more appealing.

Fernandez

Post by Fernandez » May 8th, 2014, 3:38 pm

rsslayersr wrote:Indeed, the same thought crossed my mind before. The only original songs that could have the lable 'Nightcore' -without being an edit of an already existing song- would be an original of the original Nightcore group.

You have made a wonderful song, but it's not nightcore. It's part of the already existing genres alike to Happy Hardcore. With this reasoning, it won't feel well to nightcore that creation, right? It would be wise not to nightcore a song that already is nightcored, neither does is feel right to do so with a Happy Hardcore song.
I thought that on this forum, nightcore is considered a genre, which is why we have so many posts saying "nightcore isn't any sped up song."
Is sad about the Raiders moving to Las Vegas :(
HKO2006

Post by HKO2006 » May 8th, 2014, 3:59 pm

Fernandez wrote:
rsslayersr wrote:Indeed, the same thought crossed my mind before. The only original songs that could have the lable 'Nightcore' -without being an edit of an already existing song- would be an original of the original Nightcore group.

I thought that on this forum, nightcore is considered a genre, which is why we have so many posts saying "nightcore isn't any sped up song."
Yep, I also think it would be better if we keep using nightcore as the name of a genre instead of a verb, like "nightcoring" a song. As people may get confused why not all songs can be "nightcored" and start making their own "nightcore". But if they understand that all songs can be sped up and pitched up, but only trance/dance can be called nightcore, it would be a lot clearer.
It is like you can eat anything but only the ones you are supposed to eat are called food.
Useful threads/links
What is Nightcore 101
Nightcore Know Your Meme

DJ Shaunathan

Post by DJ Shaunathan » May 8th, 2014, 4:04 pm

hko2006 wrote:

Video example
EDIT: Corrected GPotatoStar's name in my post.

Yep, that's the magic basics of turning a normal pop song into hardcore. This made Hardcore one of the few exceptions to the DJ rule that Tecnics are the best to mix on. They only go to +8, a few turn tables of lesser quality would go to +10, which would give more room to beat match a normal record sped up to Hardcore (now Nightcore) standards.

See all of the similarities? I really have a hard time not using Happy Hardcore and Nightcore interchangeably. If someone asked me to tell them the difference, I would say that Happy Hardcore may not always have pitched up vocals. To me, Nightcore should be considered a sub-genre of Hardcore to more perfectly describe the Higher Pitched voices and newer beat/melody influences.

Like Hko mentioned, There's a possibility that more artists, besides Nightcore, will begin making music in the Nightcore style. Listen to a lot of GPotatoStar on youtube for example, he's done a lot of remixing on his Nightcore and is a small step from making completely original music.

Example:

It's my opinion that it would be good for people to make music that is called Nightcore, it would differentiate itself from the slower forms of Happy Hardcore, and the listener would expect pitched up vocals.
Last edited by DJ Shaunathan on May 8th, 2014, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HKO2006

Post by HKO2006 » May 8th, 2014, 4:14 pm

hmmmmm, for some reason I can't find the GPotato about nightcore on YouTube, only the one about MMO.

EDIT: ahh, it should be Gpotatostar
DJ Shaunathan wrote:
... It's my opinion that it would be good for people to make music that is called Nightcore, it would differentiate itself from the slower forms of Happy Hardcore, and the listener would expect pitched up vocals.
True.

More examples nightcore with actual remixing
Nightcoremania4U (aka Nightcoremania)
https://www.youtube.com/user/Nightcoremania4U

Psychedelic Slayer
Some songs are good, some are meh, here is a good one
https://www.youtube.com/user/PsychedelicSlayer88
Useful threads/links
What is Nightcore 101
Nightcore Know Your Meme

rsslayersr

Post by rsslayersr » May 8th, 2014, 5:15 pm

Fernandez wrote:I thought that on this forum, nightcore is considered a genre, which is why we have so many posts saying "nightcore isn't any sped up song."
This is simply my opinion. Nothing drastic enough to bring down the pillars that hold Nightcore up. The OP even uses 'genre' to describe it, not just genre in plain text.
hko2006 wrote:Yep, I also think it would be better if we keep using nightcore as the name of a genre instead of a verb, like "nightcoring" a song.
I'm just following what Maikel631 does. 'How to Nightcore a song' is a topic on here, and 'Nightcore' is used as a verb form.
Enforcing the cute little sister of Happy Hardcore
MagicScream

Post by MagicScream » June 12th, 2014, 3:31 pm

I think what most people on Youtube don't understand is that nightcore is a specific type of speed up. It's like how anime isn't just anything that's animated. It's a specific form of animation.

Calling anything sped up "nightcore" is like calling anything animated "anime".
HKO2006

Post by HKO2006 » June 19th, 2014, 4:01 pm

rsslayersr wrote:
hko2006 wrote:Yep, I also think it would be better if we keep using nightcore as the name of a genre instead of a verb, like "nightcoring" a song.
I'm just following what Maikel631 does. 'How to Nightcore a song' is a topic on here, and 'Nightcore' is used as a verb form.
Not sure if I have replied this before just in case I haven't yet.
Yup, but when it would be a lot clearer when we say: any song can be sped up, only sped up dance/trace can be called Nightcore. When using nightcore as a verb, people would ask why can't they nightcore any song. The answer would probably be "because why not". :/

A bit curious why Miakel started using nightcore as a verb.
Useful threads/links
What is Nightcore 101
Nightcore Know Your Meme

lordr1966

Post by lordr1966 » July 15th, 2014, 9:50 am

The thing is none of this really matters what nightcore is or isnt is dictated by popular demand very few music genera are a result of there past or even bare that much resemblance to the original idea all music is in constant flux and changes to suit the demand of its listeners.

Are we currently listening to someone banging a stick against a log NO but thats how it all started no music genera stands still if it wants to carry on and if turning a rock number into a dance number works and people like it then like it or not it becomes nightcore you don't have a choice in the matter no body douse its the consensus of opinion that counts

And lets face it if you have a youtube channel you listen to your subscribers if you do a rock number and it gets a lot of likes your going to do more and your going to keep calling it nightcore because there isn't any choice SPEED EDIT yer right cos everyone has heard of that haven't they it's going to get so many hits and what do youtubers want HITS.

So you can bemoan the death of the original idea to your hearts content but it will change nothing nightcore will become what nightcore becomes and you will cause yourself a lot less stress just going with it instead of

NIGHTCORE = ANYTHING
go with
NIGHTCORE = FUN
and just enjoy the ride i do
Raver

Post by Raver » July 15th, 2014, 3:47 pm

^ rofl
We feel the rhythm like it is our heartbeat
thecad
Respected Donator
Respected Donator

Post by thecad » July 16th, 2014, 4:49 am

lawl Raver xD I didn't really know what to post.. but that generally is what I tought XD
Family! <3

Anata no mawarinohito o suki shikashi, tōku hanareta hitobito o aishite <3

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Watch4FallingRock

Post by Watch4FallingRock » July 16th, 2014, 2:48 pm

I don't mean to offend anyone by asking this, but what criteria makes nightcore a genre? I'm kinda curious.
Fernandez

Post by Fernandez » July 17th, 2014, 1:38 am

Watch4FallingRock wrote:I don't mean to offend anyone by asking this, but what criteria makes nightcore a genre? I'm kinda curious.
I think that nightcore is a genre because it has a distinctive sound. To me, it's more the sound than the method that determines whether or not a form of music is a genre. Sure, all you need to do is increase the speed of a techno song to make nightcore, but the sound you get feels very different from what you started out with.

I would even say that nightcore is different from happy hardcore (its closest similarity). I just happened to listen to a mix of nightcore and happy hardcore, and I would say that I heard some differences. Happy hardcore, despite its name, tended to have rough "choppy/cutting" bass kicks. With nightcore on the other hand, those same kicks felt more smooth and bouncy.

Another argument I sometimes hear is that nightcore isn't a genre because you are using someone else's song. But keep in mind that a piece of music need not be completely original to be assigned a genre. If you make a metal cover of a rap song, your cover has a genre: metal. If you make a dubstep remix of a country song, your remix has a genre: dubstep.

If you work with someone else song and manipulate/remix it and come out with a new distinctive sound, you could very well have produced a new genre.

Thus, I think a genre of music where all songs are remixes of someone else's songs is plausible.

To sum up, I think it's more about the sound than the method that determines if a form of music is a genre. In my opinion, nightcore does have a sound distinct enough to qualify as a genre.
Is sad about the Raiders moving to Las Vegas :(
Tennessee Titans

Post by Tennessee Titans » September 18th, 2014, 9:56 pm

What happened to the Nightcore group from 2003-2011?

Nightcore doesn't seem to have released any new tracks since 2012, but at least they post on their Facebook page now.

But back then, they didn't say a single word, no news, releases, or anything.

Any idea on why the group "disappeared" back then? Or is it one of those mysteries that will never get solved?
The Tennessee Titans are a professional American football team based in Nashville, Tennessee, United States. They are members of the South Division of the American Football Conference (AFC) in the National Football League (NFL).

http://www.titansonline.com/
Watch4FallingRock

Post by Watch4FallingRock » October 18th, 2014, 4:29 pm

Kirby wrote: Q: Did someone named Nightcore produce all the songs labeled "Nightcore" on YouTube?

A: No. As explained above, Nightcore IS an artist. However, they inspired a style of editing songs that extended way past the amount of songs they edited themselves. Not all of their songs have surfaced on the Internet; the ones that did are listed below.

5 Elements
All I Want For Christmas
Another Night
Astral Plane
Breathe Without You
Dam Dadi Doo
Destiny
Don't Say Goodbye
Don't You
Don't Let Me Down
Du och Jag
Fallin'
Feel the Stars
Find My Way To You
Forever
Hater Å Elske Deg
Here In My Heart
History
Into The Sky
Life Is A Mystery
Look At Me Now
Lucky Star
My Name Is Rose
Now I'm Free
Promised Land
Rainbow
Reaching Out
Sending S.O.S.
Stop That Time
Ta Sama Chwila
Take Me
Trip 2 Wonderland
Walk Alone
Where Are You Now
Why
Will My Heart Survive
Without You
Wriemia Agniej
So basically, if a song isn't on this list, it wasn't made by the original group?

On sites like Amazon, Itunes, Last.fm, I keep seeing albums such as Dreamworld, Courtesy Call, and Endlessly SIngle which have Nightcore as the artist name, but don't have any of the songs on that list.
emilemil1

Post by emilemil1 » October 18th, 2014, 4:36 pm

They could be by Nightcore, but I don't think that's very likely. There are a few people/labels (mostly shady ones) who release Nightcore albums much like we release individual fan-made Nightcore songs on YouTube.
Chaos-Phoenix

Post by Chaos-Phoenix » June 1st, 2015, 12:49 pm

I used this for a speech- so awesome!!!!
danieljj012

Post by danieljj012 » September 24th, 2015, 5:07 am

Impressive! That you have enough time to do this. But I would suggest you to, just maintain the general music list.
HKO2006

Post by HKO2006 » May 15th, 2016, 12:43 am

Mirrors on http://archive.is/
http://archive.is/http://www2.hemsida.net/*
Thomas sin jæmmesia, first thress CDs
http://archive.is/o10uW
:!: Nightcore is Hardcore :!:, steffie/nightcore/biography.html
http://archive.is/gMve6
:!: Nightcore is Hardcore :!:, steffie/nightcore/news.html, updates in 2003
http://archive.is/P982x
Useful threads/links
What is Nightcore 101
Nightcore Know Your Meme

DJ Yozora

Post by DJ Yozora » July 24th, 2018, 4:16 am

Reading all the different opinions in Nightcore Universe about the definition of 'real Nightcore' after all this time is very interesting! If you go to YouTube in 2018 and claim that Nightcore edits can only be made with Dance/Trance/Techno songs, you are going to make a fool of yourself! I'm pretty sure that most Nightcore fans nowadays have never heard of the homonymous group and their speed edits of Dance songs. Some of them are probably not even familiar with these old music genres. These days Nightcore can be any song whose tempo and pitch have been raised and is usually found on YouTube in a video with an anime-style image. It is an internet music style and a YouTube video genre. I think, everyone agrees that Nightcore is not a music genre, as it covers many different genres, regardless if they are limited to Dance/Trance/Techno or expand to include everything else. In the latter case people distinguish between Rock Nightcore, Pop Nightcore etc. Therefore I believe that the term "music style / edit" is more accurate.

After I read many interesting opinions on the site, I decided I should post my own.

The evolution of Nightcore's meaning

First of all I want to make it clear that I am no expert in Nightcore. I only heard about the music group 2 years ago and I haven't used any sources other than some archived pages and interviews I could find. From what I've read I cannot conclude that Thomas S. Nilsen and Steffen Ojala Søderholm wanted to create a music genre. They called themselves 'Nightcore', not their music style. Of course their band name was supposed to be the signature of their own style, but they never expected that people would mimic 'Nightcore's style' (known simply as "Nightcore" today being named after the band). As far as I'm concerned, the duo wanted to create a music style of their own; they had no intention to mark the beginning of a sped up music trend.

As soon as Nightcore's work made it to the internet, people like Maikel6311 decided to expand the limited tracks Nightcore had released by applying a similar speed up edit to more songs. For that reason they sticked to the genres that the duo had used and made it sound like something Nightcore would have released. I don't disagree that continuing the style the band left behind whilst trying to keep it as original and authentic as possible is respectful and shows gratitude towards the duo. On the other side taking someone's name and music style without their permission and reproducing it is called impersonating. It makes no difference, if you label yourself or just the video or song as Nightcore. In my point of view the ‘traditional’ Nightcore creators have no right to tell others not to use the term freely, because they did exactly the same thing in the first place. Either way it was thanks to people like Maikel6311 and other early uploaders and reproducers that Nightcore became a music style referring to sped up Dance/Trance/Techno music (aka the definition that this site prefers).

As soon as Nightcore started to become popular on YouTube more people liked this editing style and begun to reproduce it too. However they didn’t limit themselves to the Dance genres like the earlier uploaders and the duo did. They sped up rock, pop as well as other popular genres and called their edits ‘Nightcore’ too. Thanks to those creators Nightcore became a popular YouTube video genre with millions of fans. At this point Nightcore lost the meaning that the older creators had given it and evolved into a mainstream music style.

The argument about Nightcore's definition

There are 3 sides with a different perception of the term ‘Nightcore’ from my point of view; the huge Nightcore community on YouTube that considers any sped up song a Nightcore edit, the traditional Nightcore creators and fans who claim to respect and continue what the group did and refuse to accept any wider definition of Nightcore and the group itself that doesn’t take any side and just appreciates that people like and continue what it started. From the legal point of view, if the group has registered their trademark, it could hire a lawyer and sue the other parties for copying their speeding up patent, using their name in their edits and usernames, dishonoring them by connecting any sped up song to their name without their approval, getting fame (and money) through the usage of the duo’s name etc. If they don’t take any action, it means that they don’t have the rights over the Nightcore trademark or they just don’t care about all this, which makes more sense to me. According to their statement they were happy that people enjoy and continue what they did.

My conclusion is that there is no correct or false definition of Nightcore and the band never intended to set one. The music editing style known as Nightcore was created by the fanbase. Nightcore was the name of the band, not of their work or style. Although they preferred to speed up dance songs, they never defined Nightcore as an editing style that requires a song of that genre. An example for that is their latest edit (Turn Off Your Mind) that doesn’t fall into their original genres being Hardstyle, which means that they apply the edit to anything that sounds good to them.

I have seen people on NU complaining that Nightcore cannot evolve further, when it’s practically undefinable and includes almost every music genre. I don’t see why any Nightcore genre cannot inspire people to create something new. Nothing hinders Dance Nightcore or Rock Nightcore to progress and turn into a new style of music or maybe a new genre. Even Nightcore as a whole could influence music. There have been cases, in which music producers were inspired by Nightcore, so it wouldn’t surprise me to see a new kind of music mimicking Nightcore’s high pitched vocals for example.

The issue of many different Nightcore edits with the same name can’t be solved by limiting Nightcore to its original genres. It’s for a reason that Nightcore uploaders include the artist’s name, but even if they don’t, there are already countless songs in the Dance/Trance/Techno territory that have the same name. It’s impossible to tell who made a specific song without listening to it, if you don’t know the producer’s name. The appearance of remixes makes this even harder.

Those who insist that Nightcore is literally connected to Dance music because of the band’s motto “Nightcore means that we are the core of the night, so you’ll dance all night long” and the name of their website (“Nightcore is Hardcore”) should consider that not only slow Dance and Techno songs can sound like happy fast Dance music when sped up. Speed up edits of other songs, such as pop and edm songs, can also achieve the same result. If someone likes to dance to a specific kind of music depends on the individual’s taste and can’t be judged objectively. Also, claiming on the one hand that Nightcore cannot include any music genres that the group didn’t use in their edits and on the other hand supporting fan Nightcore edits of the songs that in your opinion sound similar to the band’s songs is contradictory. According to that logic none else, but the duo can approve and decide what songs are being edited.

Conclusion

To sum up, I think that the argument about Nightcore’s definition is pointless, especially at the present time, when the term has been widely accepted as a speed up edit of any song. Many (including myself) have only known this ‘new meaning’ of Nightcore. We got to know and like it this way over the years. It would be very difficult and pointless to knock it out of our heads and replace it with the definition that other fans came up with earlier. That said I consider it a big progress, if we at least realize the development of the term from the name of the band and the speed up edits of some ‘applicable genres’ to what it has become today.

Now as for Nightcore Universe and its kind of ‘radical’ opinions, I don’t think it’s a narrow minded community that people should stay away from. I believe it’s the perfect place to discover Nightcore and the story behind it from those who have known it since the early days. It is also interesting to see how the Nightcore community looked like 5+ years ago, which is like traveling back to time! However the owners of the site certainly have the right to regulate the Nightcore genres that are allowed to be discussed in the forums. That makes this place unique and worth visiting; a district for fans of Dance/Trance/Techno Nightcore that definitely has its own appeal, but sadly disappears from the mainstream…

That was of course my personal opinion on the matter. Anyone can agree or disagree with it. If that’s the case or if you have noticed any inaccurate information in my text, please let me know! Productive feedback is welcome! :)