A way to estimate how nightcore has changed over the past few years

For Nightcore discussion in general.
Boiledcabbages

A way to estimate how nightcore has changed over the past few years

Post by Boiledcabbages » February 23rd, 2020, 5:20 am

Now I know this is a very old topic which you all know about that nightcore is supposed to be a collection of sped up techno, dance, hands up and trance music, but many YouTube uploaders are either unaware of this fact or make sped up versions of popular music in other genres for getting views, etc. We also know that due to this, the general "nightcore community" online has moved away from these genres towards genres like pop.

Now I found a cool website called http://everynoise.com/ where the author has created a map of music genres. To quote the site's author,

Every Noise at Once is an ongoing attempt at an algorithmically-generated, readability-adjusted scatter-plot of the musical genre-space, based on data tracked and analyzed for 3,965 genre-shaped distinctions by Spotify as of 2020-02-21. The calibration is fuzzy, but in general down is more organic, up is more mechanical and electric; left is denser and more atmospheric, right is spikier and bouncier.

If you look closely, you can see how this website is actually really well done and surprisingly accurate for the most part. On the bottom, there's choir and orchestra music and on the top, there's tech house. On the left, there's heavy metal and on the right, there's hip hop.

http://imgur.com/a/SB89tWe

In this photo, you can see how nightcore is placed somewhere in between the hands up, trance, techno, eurodance cluster and that of post-teen pop and pop music in general.
I just wanted to point out that it's pretty accurate of what's going on.

Other cool stuff is how modern music is slowly becoming less denser, which we can see. There are so many more interesting things to do with that site but I just wanted to point this, so I guess it would be appropriate for nightcore general
Sometimes my saliva tastes like unicorn pee
Zurd

Re: A way to estimate how nightcore has changed over the past few years

Post by Zurd » February 23rd, 2020, 1:04 pm

Oh wow nice finding, I love it!

Digital Core's sample is Atari Teenage Riot which I absolutely love. I found nintendocore and kawaii metal in it which I didn't know, you learn something new everyday. Also found erotica, the sample is quite something ahah

For an algorithm, I think it is very accurate and well done. Nightcore is quite close to Happy Hardcore which totally makes sense, could have been closer though!

I don't think we can say that "modern music is slowly becoming less denser", the algorithm isn't about time but tempo, pitch, etc.
Boiledcabbages

Post by Boiledcabbages » February 23rd, 2020, 1:44 pm

Zurd wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 1:04 pm Oh wow nice finding, I love it!

Digital Core's sample is Atari Teenage Riot which I absolutely love. I found nintendocore and kawaii metal in it which I didn't know, you learn something new everyday. Also found erotica, the sample is quite something ahah

For an algorithm, I think it is very accurate and well done. Nightcore is quite close to Happy Hardcore which totally makes sense, could have been closer though!

I don't think we can say that "modern music is slowly becoming less denser", the algorithm isn't about time but tempo, pitch, etc.
I want to point a few things:

1) When you play a sample, there's the ">>" symbol to the right side on the sample, which will give you a map of different music artists within the sample.

2) I never found out that erotica sample lmao, I did find the brain waves, white noise and other obnoxious stuff tho

3) There's also this other site called https://musicmap.info/ but it's a bit too messed up on mobile at least

4) Nightcore has many actual nightcore samples as well as "nightcore" samples

5) according to this site, I recognised most artists on the "deep dubstep" page, but that's mainly because all NCS popular artists are for some reason grouped in deep dubstep
Fernandez

Post by Fernandez » February 23rd, 2020, 4:16 pm

Very cool site. I use Control + F to find my genre of choice and like seeing what other genres it's related to. Though I have a gripe with nightcore being placed right next to genres such as trap, dubstep, and synthpop. If this was 2012-13, people would have blown a gasket if they saw such genres being "nightcored" and posted here. Ideally, it should be placed next to happy hardcore since that's pretty much the idea of nightcore, to turn a slow electronic song into a happier sound akin to that.

But great find though. Very interesting.
Is sad about the Raiders moving to Las Vegas :(
Boiledcabbages

Post by Boiledcabbages » February 25th, 2020, 8:36 am

http://imgur.com/a/djgh5VW

Here, you can roughly divide actual nightcore and non-nightcore as I did

The samples above the black line are actual nightcore