What makes Nightcore worthwhile?

For Nightcore discussion in general.
Nightcure

What makes Nightcore worthwhile?

Post by Nightcure » April 26th, 2017, 6:24 pm

I was originally going to make the title "What makes creating Nightcore fun?" but I'm not sure if that's the right word to use. For a lack of a better word, I'll stick with worthwhile for now.

While I was creating some videos the other day, I wondered why I continued to upload nightcore videos. Of course, we know that nightcore is speeding up a song from specific genres to create a happy hardcore sort of vibe. However, why is it taken on by so many people? What appeal does nightcore have that many (this is probably an overstatement) people listen to it? Also, why do so many channels dedicate themselves to uploading nightcore?

Now, I can't speak for everyone, as my channel has never seen 1k in its entire run (which is good as I have less people to disappoint), but I feel like nightcore songs seem to add a new/refreshing feeling to people who listen to it. If you've talked to me within the four years I've been uploading, you could probably figure out that I call bullshit on the idea that nightcore creates "new" songs always. There are only a few times when I would listen to a nightcored song and be blown away by how amazing the speed edit makes the original song sound like (this is different from me finding a cool nightcore song when I haven't heard the original).

I feel like another charm of nightcore is that people with very little experience in the music industry can modify any song of their choosing. Like many people in the YouTube comments that are always arguing about the original vs the nightcored version say, anyone can do it. Maybe people who do make nightcore want something they can proudly upload and say "I did that", no matter how impressive it is. Maybe it has something to do with them creating a nightcore version of the song and calling it a remix (whether or not it's correct is not the main focus of this topic).

If you asked me a few years back why I uploaded nightcore, I'd probably say "Because it's fun, and cool". If you asked me why, I probably would not be able to give you anything but "I don't know I guess I like it or something". Heck, I still don't know why I upload nightcore.

What do you guys think? Do you also struggle to answer why you listen to/upload nightcore? Why do you think nightcore has the following it has?

ps if you need clarification feel free to ask.
I feel the need to leave my world, to discover some other place.
Fernandez

Re: What makes Nightcore worthwhile?

Post by Fernandez » April 26th, 2017, 7:50 pm

Nightcure wrote:If you asked me a few years back why I uploaded nightcore, I'd probably say "Because it's fun, and cool".
For many people, it's still that; it's fun and cool. Nightcore is a fast, happy, upbeat style that is meant to cheer you up and get you dancing.

Nightcore can also be a fresh take on a song. Simply speeding up a song can give it a whole different feel. And also, anyone can do it with no music making experience.
Is sad about the Raiders moving to Las Vegas :(
Zurd

Post by Zurd » April 26th, 2017, 8:04 pm

The fastest happy hardcore/dance song has always been my favorites so it's just natural for me to really really like nightcore. I've always like fast BPM.

I'm glad I can now take control and modify songs so they sound better for me.
emilemil1

Post by emilemil1 » April 27th, 2017, 2:32 am

To a listener, the difference between a track that's been designed to be fast, compared to a nightcore, can be negligible. So to a listener, nightcore would be about as worthwhile as happy hardcore. Whether that's something valuable to you personally will vary, and probably change over time (particularly if you're young).

As for uploading it's always been about contribution for me. Making others happy is fun, that's why I still want to upload. It also has given me a newfound insight into music in general, production and an opportunity to actually talk to a few of the people who make the music I enjoy.
rsslayersr

Post by rsslayersr » April 27th, 2017, 8:05 am

It's as much worth as the amount of people that enjoy it. You're looking for a reason why it's worthwhile for uploaders right?
I believe we all just really love the sound of it.

There are some factors that can be really demotivating to keep running your channel however.
- other channels uploading fake nightcore while growing more than you
- not able to upload daily like other channels
- lack of fans

To me, nightcore involved searching for songs and images, which was in itself very rewarding, almost like a game. NU helped a lot to keep morale high.

I believe the best way to find worth in your channel, is to make it quite personal. The effort you put into your videos, banner etc all means something to you and the skills you're learning.
Sure, it's fun to see your audience grow. It's fun to see a few videos get 100k views.
However, when you're not getting any of those metrics and you're on a break because of that, I wouldn't say it's sustainable.

To me, a channel seems like a houseplant you take care of. It grows slow, when if floweres, you're in bliss. It can also die within a day for no appearant reason.
I just liked watering the plant ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
Enforcing the cute little sister of Happy Hardcore
Vitacx97

Post by Vitacx97 » April 27th, 2017, 2:36 pm

rsslayersr wrote:To me, a channel seems like a houseplant you take care of. It grows slow, when if floweres, you're in bliss. It can also die within a day for no appearant reason.
Great analogy, and exactly what happened to my channel. Although I think my downfall was due to sparse periods without uploading, like my three month hiatus now. :P

Nightcore for me was always about finding lesser known songs I liked, seeing if and how they'd work in nightcore form, and sharing them on my channel if they did. I'd trawl through song after song after song for hours just to find one I liked sped up, and while repetitive, I thought the end result was always worth it.

I still enjoy listening to nightcore every now and then even now after about four years also, I think it works great with games thanks to fast beats, and it just makes me happy. I love pitched vocals though, nightcore or not, so there's that.
Zurd

Post by Zurd » April 27th, 2017, 2:51 pm

my channel grows very slowly, i don't have good soil and i dont use fertilizers!

It's organic tho!
emilemil1

Post by emilemil1 » April 27th, 2017, 3:06 pm

I injected sprout-enhancing steroids into my channel early on, it's been suffering from withdrawal for 2 years.
Nightcure

Post by Nightcure » April 29th, 2017, 7:50 pm

emilemil1 wrote:. It also has given me a newfound insight into music in general, production and an opportunity to actually talk to a few of the people who make the music I enjoy.
Honestly, I forgot about this, but thinking about it I think you hit the nail on the head. When I think about it, without uploading nightcore, there would be little to no communication between me and people who actually make music (or semi-big music labels that take the time to ask me to listen to their songs).

And to everyone else who mentioned fast BPM/happy hardcore sounding style, I do agree that's what attracts people (especially those who are ravers). I used to consider nightcore as the "party genre" because of the pitched voices and the sped up sound creating that jump sensation.

To contribute to the plant analogy, I think mine might be a cactus because whenever I water it it doesn't seem to grow that much, only when I'm away does it seem to a grow a little.
I feel the need to leave my world, to discover some other place.
MSD_001

Post by MSD_001 » September 1st, 2017, 4:25 am

You can do really amazing things by making nightcore and it's just fun to listen to.