Nightcore Creator

For Nightcore discussion in general.
enjikaka
Posts: 9
Joined: October 11th, 2015, 2:51 pm

Nightcore Creator

Post by enjikaka » October 11th, 2015, 2:55 pm

Image

Hello!

I created a Nightcore Creator a few days back. It's live in the browser. (A modern browser is needed though, like Chrome).

You just simply open an MP3 file from your computer and then you can listen to and change to speed of the music.

The app works offline too! (See if your browser supports it here: http://caniuse.com/#feat=serviceworkers )

Feedback is greatly appreciated!

Go to the app:
https://nightcore.rocks/
Last edited by enjikaka on June 2nd, 2016, 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Tranceformer
Posts: 224
Joined: November 17th, 2014, 6:25 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Nightcore Creator

Post by Tranceformer » October 11th, 2015, 3:00 pm

Um what means the number behind the change speed bar is this the percentage of the speed change this software does?

User avatar
emilemil1
Posts: 538
Joined: July 31st, 2014, 4:48 am
Contact:

Re: Nightcore Creator

Post by emilemil1 » October 11th, 2015, 5:34 pm

First off I want to say well done! I've been looking for a very beginner-friendly way to introduce people to Nightcore, and this looks like it could become just that, with some work ^^

Feedback:

That speed indication number doesn't really make any sense, can't wrap my head around it. It would be much more intuitive to display a percentage increase.

Additionally, if possible, it would be great to have an option to input the BPM of the track and either use that to adjust the speed to a specific BPM (very useful when making mixes) or to see what the BPM will be after speeding up using the standard method. Bonus points if in addition to entering the BPM manually, there's also an automatic analyzer or at least a way to tap along to the music to get the BPM.

Also your presets are a bit... fast. I don't know what Nightcore you listen to, but even the lowest Smurf option is crazy fast, at least for the songs I'm using.

A way to jump back and forth in the track would be nice, since sometimes you can have a really long track and want to hear what a part in the middle sounds like, or at the end.

Finally, a download button! Without that it's pretty pointless to have a tool like this :P

User avatar
Zurd
Posts: 700
Joined: May 19th, 2012, 2:17 am
Location: Canada

Re: Nightcore Creator

Post by Zurd » October 11th, 2015, 5:41 pm

Why at 52 does it slow the song? Seems like it's a 52% speed and why at 60 does is it normal? Me too I don't get the numbers.

Nice page though, pretty nice. Good job on doing it! Seems like you used p5.js for it :)
https://github.com/processing/p5.js-sound

enjikaka
Posts: 9
Joined: October 11th, 2015, 2:51 pm

Re: Nightcore Creator

Post by enjikaka » October 13th, 2015, 1:44 am

Tranceformer wrote:Um what means the number behind the change speed bar is this the percentage of the speed change this software does?
emilemil1 wrote:That speed indication number doesn't really make any sense, can't wrap my head around it. It would be much more intuitive to display a percentage increase.
Zurd wrote:Why at 52 does it slow the song? Seems like it's a 52% speed and why at 60 does is it normal? Me too I don't get the numbers.
Sorry for the confusion! The numbers are midi numbers. It's based of C4 (midi number 60).

Image

emilemil1 wrote:It would be great to have an option to input the BPM of the track and either use that to adjust the speed to a specific BPM (very useful when making mixes) or to see what the BPM will be after speeding up using the standard method. Bonus points if in addition to entering the BPM manually, there's also an automatic analyzer or at least a way to tap along to the music to get the BPM.

Also your presets are a bit... fast. I don't know what Nightcore you listen to, but even the lowest Smurf option is crazy fast, at least for the songs I'm using.

A way to jump back and forth in the track would be nice, since sometimes you can have a really long track and want to hear what a part in the middle sounds like, or at the end.

Finally, a download button! Without that it's pretty pointless to have a tool like this :P
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm trying to figure out a way to fix a download button. I too realised like right away that a download is a must! As for the BPM stuff; it might be tricky, but I'll try! :)

User avatar
Zurd
Posts: 700
Joined: May 19th, 2012, 2:17 am
Location: Canada

Re: Nightcore Creator

Post by Zurd » October 13th, 2015, 1:49 am

What is midi numbers? Like 60 is equal to 0 and 52 is equal is minus 8 ?

enjikaka
Posts: 9
Joined: October 11th, 2015, 2:51 pm

Re: Nightcore Creator

Post by enjikaka » October 13th, 2015, 1:55 am

Zurd wrote:What is midi numbers? Like 60 is equal to 0 and 52 is equal is minus 8 ?
Midi numbers are numbers that represent the keys on a keyboard. I based this project on a upcoming version of my HTML5 piano ( http://plypp.net ) which is going to use samples. Crazy as I am, I opened a MP3 song instead of a sample on the piano to try it out and realised it worked out quite nice.

Why I choosed midi numbers is because of the fact that the steps there will most likely make the speed increase sound better because the steps are locked to midi numbers instead of percent. It would probably sound terrible if you were to speed up a song to like 1 1/4 notes up etc.

And yes, 60 would be equal to 0, and 52 would equal minus 8. (8 tones down on a keyboard.)

User avatar
Tranceformer
Posts: 224
Joined: November 17th, 2014, 6:25 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Nightcore Creator

Post by Tranceformer » October 13th, 2015, 6:08 am

If i got this right the worth 1 is the Same as the Pitch Level one? Is this right?

User avatar
emilemil1
Posts: 538
Joined: July 31st, 2014, 4:48 am
Contact:

Re: Nightcore Creator

Post by emilemil1 » October 13th, 2015, 10:44 am

Following notes only matters when you're tuning a specific instrument/sound to fit into a musical piece without being off-key, it doesn't matter when you're setting the speed of that entire piece :)

---

Midi numbers follow the semitones in the standard western 12-tone scale, where 12 half-tones is the difference between two octaves. In other words, +12 semitones equals twice the pitch. The formula for a particular number is as follows:

(twelfth root of 2) ^ (increase in midi number) = new speed

So if you take for example 64, which is 4 higher than the base of 60:

(twelfth root of 2) ^ 4 = 1.26

That is a 26% increase in speed.

User avatar
Zurd
Posts: 700
Joined: May 19th, 2012, 2:17 am
Location: Canada

Re: Nightcore Creator

Post by Zurd » October 13th, 2015, 4:06 pm

Not that I understand everything but I was able to calculate everything. You can see that it's almost a 6% speed change every time you step, its not accurate. You can't choose to speed a song by 14% since there's only 12% or 19%. Note that most Nightcore song fits between 10% and 25%, you don't really need anything else.

First column is from the webpage. Second column is the % speed change associated with it.

52 0.63
53 0.67
54 0.71
55 0.75
56 0.79
57 0.84
58 0.89
59 0.94
60 1.00
61 1.06
62 1.12
63 1.19
64 1.26
65 1.33
66 1.41
67 1.50
68 1.59
69 1.68
70 1.78
71 1.89
72 2.00
73 2.12
74 2.24
75 2.38
76 2.52
77 2.67
78 2.83
79 3.00
80 3.17

HENTAiCORE
Posts: 34
Joined: January 23rd, 2015, 6:45 pm

Re: Nightcore Creator

Post by HENTAiCORE » October 15th, 2015, 4:25 am

midi number thing alone is quite useless, better also include more options like: pitch by bpm, pitch by frequency (maybe a bit unnecessary since everyone who knows how to use that probably also has a proper daw already), pitch by percent.
also pitching up by any amount wont change harmony or smth since harmony is about intervals and not about key tone heighth :^).
My Soundcloud :3
Hardcore Producer and Composer since 2013

enjikaka
Posts: 9
Joined: October 11th, 2015, 2:51 pm

Re: Nightcore Creator

Post by enjikaka » October 15th, 2015, 11:22 pm

Thanks for the feedback!

I'll try to change the settings to control frequency with percent instead!

enjikaka
Posts: 9
Joined: October 11th, 2015, 2:51 pm

Re: Nightcore Creator

Post by enjikaka » October 15th, 2015, 11:46 pm

emilemil1 wrote:
Zurd wrote:You can't choose to speed a song by 14% since there's only 12% or 19%. Note that most Nightcore song fits between 10% and 25%, you don't really need anything else.
HENTAiCORE wrote:pitch by percent.
Now uses percentage; http://dret.nu/nightcore-creator/

Do a hard refresh (CTRL + SHIFT + R) if you still see midi numbers.

User avatar
Zurd
Posts: 700
Joined: May 19th, 2012, 2:17 am
Location: Canada

Re: Nightcore Creator

Post by Zurd » October 16th, 2015, 1:47 am

Wow that works so much better now!! Good job!

If there's ever a download button I might just use this from now on instead of a software, it's so much faster.

If anyone thinks this link should be sticky somewhere, lemme know, I'm open for suggestions!

User avatar
emilemil1
Posts: 538
Joined: July 31st, 2014, 4:48 am
Contact:

Re: Nightcore Creator

Post by emilemil1 » October 16th, 2015, 1:52 am

Going above 25% is uncommon, but not totally unheard of, so I'd set the cap at 30% just to be safe. In some very, very special cases you may even go above 30%, but that's so ridiculously rare that it's pretty pointless to even support it.

I'm also questioning the purpose of the presets. Like, why would ever use them when you have the slider? Might be a good idea to keep them around though until more features are added, or the interface will appear very empty.

Aside from that, looking good as a basic editor!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest