Hello !

For Nightcore discussion in general.
Scandinasia

Hello !

Post by Scandinasia » October 25th, 2014, 3:27 pm

Hi !

I am Scandinasia. Well, you can guess that if I'm here, it is because I love Trance music a lot, and that I wanted to share my passion with more people.

Actually, I already do it on some other forums, but those are dedicated to Goa Trance music, which is my greatest passion in music (in life?), but I also enjoy Fantasy music a lot, even if I don't listen to it as much as Goa Trance ; then, I wanted to get closer to people who like Fantasy as I do, so that I can exchange with them.

My favourite channels include : Mikael6311, xy4trance, 3AncientForest3, MusaM8 and Shadwtones.

Besides nightcore, I like Techno Dream Trance, Touhou arrangements and J-Trance in general, melodic trance, makina, eurodance, etc.

Regarding myself, I am 21 and I live in France, and I have a great knowledge when it comes to Trance music. If you have questions regarding the history of Trance music, or the differences between its many genres, I'm your man. I also like animes xD

Thank you for reading.

Love and Light
emilemil1

Re: Hello !

Post by emilemil1 » October 25th, 2014, 3:51 pm

Oh, Goa, that's an unusual preference ^^ Haven't heard of the genre before, but from what I understand it's like the origin of Psy-Trance?

Also, what exactly is "Fantasy music"? :) Like, soundtracks from fantasy movies/games?

Aaand I have to ask about your name! Is it a combination of Scandinavia + Asia, or is that just a coincidence.

Cheers!
Scandinasia

Post by Scandinasia » October 25th, 2014, 4:09 pm

Thank you for welcoming me ^^

Goa Trance is actually the very first manifestation of Psychedelic Trance. It is the purest form of Trance music, characterized by an organic sound surrounded by psychedelic or oniric melodies. Example :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6keGkngcTE

In Trance music, I'm looking for a dreamy adventure. I want to dig into my inner universe. At first, I was interested by normal Trance music (Van Buuren style), but it's just too commercial for me, so I went into two opposite directions : Goa and Fantasy.

By Fantasy, I mean a specific form of Electronic Dance Music that can be labellad either as : epic, romantic, "kawaï" or fantastic. I didn't invent the notion, but it is not very used.

Fantasy Trance, for instance, include melodic and dense forms of Trance music that are usually very appreciated by Nightcore lovers : Euro Trance, Techno Dream Trance, J-Trance, Nightcore Trance, etc. Fantasy in general include Hands Up, Fantasy House, Fantasy Techno, Happy Hardcore, J-Core, etc.

Example : xy4Trance only upload Fantasy, in its many genres. Artists like Basshunter or DJ Splash can be counted as Fantasy as well.

And yes, you guess right for my name. Actually, I like Japan a lot, and I also like regions such as Iceland or Faroe Islands, hence the name :)
emilemil1

Post by emilemil1 » October 25th, 2014, 4:43 pm

Okay ^^ Listened to that Goa track, it's really nice! Usually the really purely trancy-trance tends to bore me a bit, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. It's not the kind of style I'd listen to "actively", but it'd be perfect for background music. Especially when I'm playing anything with a sci-fi theme!
HFUNightcore

Post by HFUNightcore » October 25th, 2014, 4:43 pm

Scandinasia wrote:Thank you for welcoming me ^^

Goa Trance is actually the very first manifestation of Psychedelic Trance. It is the purest form of Trance music, characterized by an organic sound surrounded by psychedelic or oniric melodies. Example :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6keGkngcTE

In Trance music, I'm looking for a dreamy adventure. I want to dig into my inner universe. At first, I was interested by normal Trance music (Van Buuren style), but it's just too commercial for me, so I went into two opposite directions : Goa and Fantasy.

By Fantasy, I mean a specific form of Electronic Dance Music that can be labellad either as : epic, romantic, "kawaï" or fantastic. I didn't invent the notion, but it is not very used.

Fantasy Trance, for instance, include melodic and dense forms of Trance music that are usually very appreciated by Nightcore lovers : Euro Trance, Techno Dream Trance, J-Trance, Nightcore Trance, etc. Fantasy in general include Hands Up, Fantasy House, Fantasy Techno, Happy Hardcore, J-Core, etc.

Example : xy4Trance only upload Fantasy, in its many genres. Artists like Basshunter or DJ Splash can be counted as Fantasy as well.

And yes, you guess right for my name. Actually, I like Japan a lot, and I also like regions such as Iceland or Faroe Islands, hence the name :)

So the reason why for example basshunter, dj splash,dj satomi,dj melodie,neo cortex their euro trance sounds different from others is because its fantasy euro trance or Fantasy Techno?
Scandinasia

Post by Scandinasia » October 25th, 2014, 4:55 pm

Code: Select all

So the reason why for example basshunter, dj splash,dj satomi,dj melodie,neo cortex their euro trance sounds different from others is because its fantasy euro trance or Fantasy Techno?
Mmmm... Tough question.

Well, my view is : there is, amongst the rave universe, a trend that focus on "sweeter" sounds. Those artist, I think, do not claim themselves to be relative to a "Fantasy" movement. It is their audience, afterwards, that put them together in this category, because of some common points > sweet rave sounds, with a lot of sugar, and emotionnal themes that lead to utterly dreamy or uplifting moods.

But there is no such thing as "Fantasy Euro Trance", since all Euro Trance is kinda "fantastic".
HFUNightcore

Post by HFUNightcore » October 25th, 2014, 5:03 pm

Scandinasia wrote:

Code: Select all

Mmmm... Tough question.

Well, my view is : there is, amongst the rave universe, a trend that focus on "sweeter" sounds. Those artist, I think, do not claim themselves to be relative to a "Fantasy" movement. It is their audience, afterwards, that put them together in this category, because of some common points > sweet rave sounds, with a lot of sugar, and emotionnal themes that lead to utterly dreamy or uplifting moods.

But there is no such thing as "Fantasy Euro Trance", since all Euro Trance is kinda "fantastic".
But the thing I actually want to know why there are no more songs like the nightcore classics or why artists dont produce euro trance anymore. You cant compare any songs with the nightcore classics best example this mix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWcsJt44k6c Why is that so? I actually want more songs like them.
emilemil1

Post by emilemil1 » October 25th, 2014, 5:11 pm

It's because that sound isn't popular nowadays, it's gone out of time, just like almost every other genre before it. There might be a handful of producers left around the globe, if even that, but I can guarantee that none of those producers are releasing their tracks commercially on known labels. People that produce for a living can't afford to not follow trends, they must produce what people want to listen to (read: buy), they have to change their style to whatever is commercially viable.

This is why as soon as a style becomes popular, everyone switches to that style, because that's where the money's at. They're not going to produce music that no one else is going to listen to, because, well... how many people produces music solely for themselves?

Edit: Oh, and Basshunter's not very unique, he makes pretty generic Hands Up ^^ This guy is very similar: https://soundcloud.com/dj-elektroshock
Scandinasia

Post by Scandinasia » October 25th, 2014, 5:40 pm

But the thing I actually want to know why there are no more songs like the nightcore classics or why artists dont produce euro trance anymore.
Okay, I will try to produce an explanation, but it is only a guess I am making.

The Golden age of Fantasy is between the end of the nineties and 2005/2006. In the first half of the 2000's, there have been a lot of songs that are now considered as classics.
Then, we must understand what have happenned around that time that have lead to a fading of this trend.
Fantasy have emerged in the same time that Uplifting Trance. In the end of the 90's, Trance was at the same time a very popular music, and a very creative movement. At the time, mainstream Electronic Music was at a very satisfying level in terms of quality, and some quality pop songs offsprang of this movement.

Here is a famous and popular song from 1999 that belongs to Uplifting Trance :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF_jP_Kp0gY

Here is a pop song (from about 2000) that is an offshoot of this kind of Trance :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eMgF6r0K3U

To be clear, the main reference in terms of electronic dance music by the time was quality trance music.
This was still the case until 2004/2005. After that, the Trance scene severly declined. Uplifting Trance was reduced to a very poor genre, and Electro House replaced it. The influence that Trance had over pop declined as well.

My point is : there was a pretty strong link between Trance and Pop that I think gave birth to Fantasy. When Trance declined, that link broke, and Fantasy declined as well. It is my theory.

The Trance generation (1990-2005) was a generation of artists that worked with synthetizors. They were crafstmen. In the middle of the 2000's there was a technological twist in the Modern world : the spread of cellphones, laptops, social web, etc. The following generation produced everything on computers, using softwares rather than hardwares. It is not that making music on computer is less creative than using synthetizors, but regarding Pop music, it had a nasty impact, because since then, music was produced like a program, treated as a code, calculated accordingly to math formulas.

The second half of the 2000's was really bad (according to me), when it comes to Electronic Pop. This music have embodied the very archetype of "commercial music without soul". It is the age of David Guetta.

The context was changing in the middle of the 2000's. The artists had less and less good references regarding Electronic Pop, and there was less creativity.

At the end of the 2000's, new sounds are emerging, that fascinate people. The Dubstep began to rise, and many artists change their style to experiment those new sounds.

The loss of Trance legacy, the decay of Electronic Pop, the cultural evolution of society (less and less raves), the opening of new perspectives (dubstep) must all explain a little beat the decline of Fantasy.

Nonethless, Fantasy never died. A few artists have kept making Fantasy, and some classics have appeared after 2005.
"Neimer - Two Hearts together" and "Starbreeze - Reviens-moi" are from the end of the 2000's. Zach Payne was very active during the years 2009/2010. And today, I know a few producers that make some Fantasy, but all of them are influenced by music from past periods.

Actually, Fantasy had always been an underground genre. But with the decline of the raves, the community ceased to gather. Before, Fantasy people danced together. Today, they are more a "home" audience, that listen to it from their computers, without luch exchanges between each others. It does not help creativity.

Have I answered your question ?
HFUNightcore

Post by HFUNightcore » October 25th, 2014, 5:41 pm

emilemil1 wrote:It's because that sound isn't popular nowadays, it's gone out of time, just like almost every other genre before it. There might be a handful of producers left around the globe, if even that, but I can guarantee that none of those producers are releasing their tracks commercially on known labels. People that produce for a living can't afford to not follow trends, they must produce what people want to listen to (read: buy), they have to change their style to whatever is commercially viable.

This is why as soon as a style becomes popular, everyone switches to that style, because that's where the money's at. They're not going to produce music that no one else is going to listen to, because, well... how many people produces music solely for themselves?

Edit: Oh, and Basshunter's not very unique, he makes pretty generic Hands Up ^^ This guy is very similar: https://soundcloud.com/dj-elektroshock
There are too less songs like that and the time period where these euro trance styles were popular was too short imo. Its really sad that such a great genre died out only because of money.
HFUNightcore

Post by HFUNightcore » October 25th, 2014, 5:45 pm

Scandinasia wrote:
But the thing I actually want to know why there are no more songs like the nightcore classics or why artists dont produce euro trance anymore.
Okay, I will try to produce an explanation, but it is only a guess I am making.

The Golden age of Fantasy is between the end of the nineties and 2005/2006. In the first half of the 2000's, there have been a lot of songs that are now considered as classics.
Then, we must understand what have happenned around that time that have lead to a fading of this trend.
Fantasy have emerged in the same time that Uplifting Trance. In the end of the 90's, Trance was at the same time a very popular music, and a very creative movement. At the time, mainstream Electronic Music was at a very satisfying level in terms of quality, and some quality pop songs offsprang of this movement.

Here is a famous and popular song from 1999 that belongs to Uplifting Trance :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF_jP_Kp0gY

Here is a pop song (from about 2000) that is an offshoot of this kind of Trance :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eMgF6r0K3U

To be clear, the main reference in terms of electronic dance music by the time was quality trance music.
This was still the case until 2004/2005. After that, the Trance scene severly declined. Uplifting Trance was reduced to a very poor genre, and Electro House replaced it. The influence that Trance had over pop declined as well.

My point is : there was a pretty strong link between Trance and Pop that I think gave birth to Fantasy. When Trance declined, that link broke, and Fantasy declined as well. It is my theory.

The Trance generation (1990-2005) was a generation of artists that worked with synthetizors. They were crafstmen. In the middle of the 2000's there was a technological twist in the Modern world : the spread of cellphones, laptops, social web, etc. The following generation produced everything on computers, using softwares rather than hardwares. It is not that making music on computer is less creative than using synthetizors, but regarding Pop music, it had a nasty impact, because since then, music was produced like a program, treated as a code, calculated accordingly to math formulas.

The second half of the 2000's was really bad (according to me), when it comes to Electronic Pop. This music have embodied the very archetype of "commercial music without soul". It is the age of David Guetta.

The context was changing in the middle of the 2000's. The artists had less and less good references regarding Electronic Pop, and there was less creativity.

At the end of the 2000's, new sounds are emerging, that fascinate people. The Dubstep began to rise, and many artists change their style to experiment those new sounds.

The loss of Trance legacy, the decay of Electronic Pop, the cultural evolution of society (less and less raves), the opening of new perspectives (dubstep) must all explain a little beat the decline of Fantasy.

Nonethless, Fantasy never died. A few artists have kept making Fantasy, and some classics have appeared after 2005.
"Neimer - Two Hearts together" and "Starbreeze - Reviens-moi" are from the end of the 2000's. Zach Payne was very active during the years 2009/2010. And today, I know a few producers that make some Fantasy, but all of them are influenced by music from past periods.

Actually, Fantasy had always been an underground genre. But with the decline of the raves, the community ceased to gather. Before, Fantasy people danced together. Today, they are more a "home" audience, that listen to it from their computers, without luch exchanges between each others. It does not help creativity.

Have I answered your question ?

you answered my question more or less but still its something.
emilemil1

Post by emilemil1 » October 25th, 2014, 5:46 pm

A big part of it is also the influence America (USA) has had over the music industry as the modern center of western culture. If you look at what music in Europe is popular today, you'll find that almost all of it has its origins in America. On the other hand, If you look at the music industry 20 years from now, European styles had a much greater prominence.
HFUNightcore

Post by HFUNightcore » October 25th, 2014, 5:51 pm

emilemil1 wrote:A big part of it is also the influence America (USA) has had over the music industry as the modern center of western culture. If you look at what music in Europe is popular today, you'll find that almost all of it has its origins in America. On the other hand, If you look at the music industry 20 years from now, European styles had a much greater prominence.

Wow my hate on USA got bigger than it already was...
Scandinasia

Post by Scandinasia » October 25th, 2014, 5:58 pm

I agree with Emil. And I will complete by pointing out that America never produced anything significant regarding Trance music, contrary to Europe. I think it corroborates my purpose.
you answered my question more or less but still its something.
Now, what we must ask is : what is the future of Fantasy ?

I've said that I belonged to the Goa community. Goa faced very similar problem to Fantasy, since it almost extincted in the 2000's. But now, the genre is making a comeback, and starts leaking into the other trance movements. My hope is that Fantasy know the same experience as Goa, that is to say, a re-birth.

I am not an expert enough to estimate the potential of the current scene : were there more or less Fantasy produced in 2013 than in 2012 ? I don't know. I don't think so. But what I think is that the only chance of creating a impulse is to gather the community in order to save this culture and to promote/thrive it.

Actually, I am here because I would like to gather this community, with three objectives :
_promote classic Fantasy
_support contemporary Fantasy artists and movement
_promote Japanese Fantasy in the West.

I am looking for people willing to help me to build a project, but I have to organize myself before exposing my humble plan.
Scandinasia

Post by Scandinasia » October 25th, 2014, 6:01 pm

Wow my hate on USA got bigger than it already was...
Why hating the US ?

Plus, if Europe have been influenced by the US, it is also due to Europe itself.
Japan have maintained its Fantasy culture. Europe didn't. US are not to blame.
emilemil1

Post by emilemil1 » October 25th, 2014, 6:10 pm

Japan has relied on European producers for a lot of its music import in the past, so our influence there is quite strong (at least for now) :P

I think that we might see a resurgence of many underground genres in the near future (it's already happened to some genres) due to how much easier it has become to produce electronic music. You no longer need expensive and hard to use equipment, only a laptop and some production software (which are now so easy to use that kids can learn them).

There are more producers now that can afford to produce as a hobby, not as a job, which means that they don't necessarily have to follow what's trending (though many still do). The end result is not a revival of underground genres in the commercial scene, but it might mean some new tracks to listen to at least :)
Scandinasia

Post by Scandinasia » October 25th, 2014, 6:13 pm

I also think that people are nostalgic. We had great stuff back then, so they organize to get it back :)

And we live at a time of crisis where culture from the past deliver a feeling of pleasure and safety. For example, the retro-gaming culture has expanded a lot, and people grow more interested to "old fashionned" things.
LonelyLittleAngel
Respected Donator
Respected Donator

Post by LonelyLittleAngel » October 26th, 2014, 8:13 pm

Welcome!
I'm Angel, and welcome to the Real Nightcore Family. I actually love trance. Mostly Otakucore, Techno Dream, Fantasy, etc;. I am also in love Speedcore if you enjoy that as well.
You will be loved very well in this nightcore community. So I hope you have a nice stay at Nightcore Universe!
sorry quotes from me are illegal in other people's signatures sry
Jumpcore thats what the bass is for.
Scandinasia

Post by Scandinasia » October 28th, 2014, 3:08 pm

Thank you for your kindness, Angel :D

I hope I'll be useful to your community xD

Speedcore ? No, too fast, too metallic and way too dark for me. I'm standing on the bright side of electronic music (in psy community, we call it "Morning" music, 'cause it's the contrary of dark). I love when it is smooth, "organic" and melodic ! However, I like a bit of Melodic Hardcore/J-core sometimes :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y5rpQz7PwU

But once again, it's smooth and bright xD