How to make Nightcore (NIGHTCORE TUTORIAL) UPDATED

For Nightcore discussion in general.
HKO2006

Re: How to make Nightcore (Nightcore tutorial) UPDATED

Post by HKO2006 » June 24th, 2014, 3:56 pm

Watch4FallingRock wrote:
hko2006 wrote:If you are desperately want to label them nightcore, please do add the actual genre after Nightcore - Song Name [Genre].
Yes, this brings up something I was trying to say. People say that all songs labelled as nightcore would cause confusion. Well that's where adjectives come in. Phrases like "rap music" and "techno music" help people who want a certain kind of music get what they want. Similarly, this should help people who want a certain kind of nightcore.

I like how you acknowledge the people that really want to use the nightcore name for their uploads, regardless of genre.
I add this line because there are two kinds of sped up"sound uploader on YouTube. One would be uploading Artist - Song Name (Sped Up), (Speed Mix) or (Speed Edit) after reading this thread. The other one is diehard sped up sound uploader that believe any sped up sound can be called nightcore no matter what. This line is for the later one, this line is kind of make sense for them so hopefully they would add [genre] so when I search for nihgtcore on YouTube, I would get one less song to check.
Welcome to Nightcore Universe! Enjoy your stay as much as you enjoy the original Nightcore songs!
Useful threads/links
What is Nightcore 101
Nightcore Channel Database
Nightcore Know Your Meme
Speeding up seems to be a little magic making things a little bit more appealing.

HKO2006

Post by HKO2006 » June 24th, 2014, 4:12 pm

Watch4FallingRock wrote:
hko2006 wrote:If you are desperately want to label them nightcore, please do add the actual genre after Nightcore - Song Name [Genre].
Yes, this brings up something I was trying to say. People say that all songs labelled as nightcore would cause confusion. Well that's where adjectives come in. Phrases like "rap music" and "techno music" help people who want a certain kind of music get what they want. Similarly, this should help people who want a certain kind of nightcore.

I like how you acknowledge the people that really want to use the nightcore name for their uploads, regardless of genre.
Also it would be even clearer if we just stick with nightcore = sped up dance/trance than any sped up sound.
Your reply is like suggesting to give up different genre and style and use Music - Song name [Techno] and Music - Song name [Rock] instead.
I only think up Nightcore - song name [genre], this rather concessionary naming format just for the diehard sped up sound fans. Even this is kind of anti-intellectual, it is the only rather sensible way to filter their songs when the the first suggestion failed (Artist - Song Name (Sped Up), (Speed Mix) or (Speed Edit)).
Last edited by HKO2006 on June 24th, 2014, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to Nightcore Universe! Enjoy your stay as much as you enjoy the original Nightcore songs!
Useful threads/links
What is Nightcore 101
Nightcore Know Your Meme
Speeding up seems to be a little magic making things a little bit more appealing.

Watch4FallingRock

Post by Watch4FallingRock » June 24th, 2014, 4:31 pm

hko2006 wrote: I only think up Nightcore - song name [genre], this rather concessionary naming format just for the diehard sped up sound fans. Even this is kind of anti-intellectual, it is the only rather sensible way to filter their songs when the the first suggestion failed (Artist - Song Name (Sped Up), (Speed Mix) or (Speed Edit)).
So the name format Nightcore - Song (Genre) is essentially a last resort sort of thing?
HKO2006

Post by HKO2006 » June 24th, 2014, 4:43 pm

Watch4FallingRock wrote:
hko2006 wrote: I only think up Nightcore - song name [genre], this rather concessionary naming format just for the diehard sped up sound fans. Even this is kind of anti-intellectual, it is the only rather sensible way to filter their songs when the the first suggestion failed (Artist - Song Name (Sped Up), (Speed Mix) or (Speed Edit)).
So the name format Nightcore - Song (Genre) is essentially a last resort sort of thing?
No, the last resort would be letting everyone realize and understand the difference between nightcore and other sped up sound. I still insist not all sped up sound can be called nightcore. Again, it is just a tag for me, because they will name their sped up sound nightcore anyway, adding a tag just let me check one less video.
Useful threads/links
What is Nightcore 101
Nightcore Know Your Meme

Namahage

Post by Namahage » June 24th, 2014, 4:57 pm

Watch4FallingRock wrote:
I think that last sentence just is another way of saying people will name their speed edits nightcore anyway regardless of what they are told. Nothing more, nothing less.

Though correct me if I'm wrong. I tried to base this on what I read in the OP and the replies, but sometimes the English of NU members can be hard to understand (no offense to anyone here).
The media acting as the eyes of the society ought to practice its role with the highest journalistic ethics possible; feeding the society with information of unquestionable source to perpetuate the credibility and the moral obligation bestowed to it.
HFUNightcore

Post by HFUNightcore » July 30th, 2014, 7:38 am

holy shit I wonder why I didnt find this post earlier it could have prevented mistakes and I see I still do some but I have to figure out what or how to make it better. Well now Im kinda confused since I didnt know that EDM can go into so much detail o.o Im using wavepad idk if its the same like audacity. Is there a tutorial about nightcoring songs with wavepad I mean a bit detailed for example what you have to think of when saving the song. I always change the pitch and speed equally I never use 2 different values. Then after I am done I click on save then variable bit rate (VBR) minimum bitrate 32 (kbps), max bitrate 320, Quality 0 (highest), Channel Encodering Mode Joint. To be honest idk what joint does. Is it better when I change the minimum bitrate to 8 which is the lowest or is it ok to use 32 kbps?

And also I feel very confused with the genres still dont know if the genres are ok or not which I upload. (I mean the latest songs not my first 3 or 4) But my feelings say it can be nightcored otherwise it would sound awful to me. Since I know how to find good nightcore songs I dont think I upload shitty ones like my first nightcores again xd. About quality I think amazon has good quality songs so I dont have to worry about right?

For video editing I use windows movie maker but I have to double check the settings since I used the standart settings which worked fine imo. I also have sony vegas pro but idk how to use this shit xD

Still thanks hko2006 for your detailed tutorial it rly helped me alot!
HKO2006

Post by HKO2006 » July 30th, 2014, 12:55 pm

HFU Nightcore wrote:holy shit I wonder why I didnt find this post earlier it could have prevented mistakes and I see I still do some but I have to figure out what or how to make it better. Well now Im kinda confused since I didnt know that EDM can go into so much detail o.o Im using wavepad idk if its the same like audacity. Is there a tutorial about nightcoring songs with wavepad I mean a bit detailed for example what you have to think of when saving the song. I always change the pitch and speed equally I never use 2 different values. Then after I am done I click on save then variable bit rate (VBR) minimum bitrate 32 (kbps), max bitrate 320, Quality 0 (highest), Channel Encodering Mode Joint. To be honest idk what joint does. Is it better when I change the minimum bitrate to 8 which is the lowest or is it ok to use 32 kbps?

And also I feel very confused with the genres still dont know if the genres are ok or not which I upload. (I mean the latest songs not my first 3 or 4) But my feelings say it can be nightcored otherwise it would sound awful to me. Since I know how to find good nightcore songs I dont think I upload shitty ones like my first nightcores again xd. About quality I think amazon has good quality songs so I dont have to worry about right?

For video editing I use windows movie maker but I have to double check the settings since I used the standart settings which worked fine imo. I also have sony vegas pro but idk how to use this shit xD

Thanks for reading, it is good to know my work does help.
Since audacity has set rate and wavepad doesn't, I rarely use it. When saving, use CBR 320 for mp3 and 350 VBR for m4a for the best quality. And for the Channel Encodering Mode Joint, read http://www.richardfarrar.com/what-is-joint-stereo/
Updated part 1 and 2, added Bubblegum Dance and Eurobeat in minor nightcore and spectrograms of iTunes' M4A, Amazon's 320 MP3 and Beatport's 320 MP3.
http://nightcoreuniverse.net/viewtopic. ... 313#p26313
http://nightcoreuniverse.net/viewtopic. ... 314#p26314
Useful threads/links
What is Nightcore 101
Nightcore Know Your Meme

HFUNightcore

Post by HFUNightcore » July 30th, 2014, 3:26 pm

hko2006 wrote:
HFU Nightcore wrote:holy shit I wonder why I didnt find this post earlier it could have prevented mistakes and I see I still do some but I have to figure out what or how to make it better. Well now Im kinda confused since I didnt know that EDM can go into so much detail o.o Im using wavepad idk if its the same like audacity. Is there a tutorial about nightcoring songs with wavepad I mean a bit detailed for example what you have to think of when saving the song. I always change the pitch and speed equally I never use 2 different values. Then after I am done I click on save then variable bit rate (VBR) minimum bitrate 32 (kbps), max bitrate 320, Quality 0 (highest), Channel Encodering Mode Joint. To be honest idk what joint does. Is it better when I change the minimum bitrate to 8 which is the lowest or is it ok to use 32 kbps?

Thanks for reading, it is good to know my work does help.
Since audacity has set rate and wavepad doesn't, I rarely use it. When saving, use CBR 320 for mp3 and 350 VBR for m4a for the best quality. And for the Channel Encodering Mode Joint, read http://www.richardfarrar.com/what-is-joint-stereo/
Updated part 1 and 2, added Bubblegum Dance and Eurobeat in minor nightcore and spectrograms of iTunes' M4A, Amazon's 320 MP3 and Beatport's 320 MP3.
http://nightcoreuniverse.net/viewtopic. ... 313#p26313
http://nightcoreuniverse.net/viewtopic. ... 314#p26314

Thanks hko I definetly try to use your tipps for my next works :) I wonder how long it took for you to make such a huge tutorial?
LonelyLittleAngel
Respected Donator
Respected Donator

Post by LonelyLittleAngel » July 30th, 2014, 3:37 pm

(c) WavePad
WavePad is pretty straight forward.
1st Buy WavePad because it isn't free unless you want to use the 1 week trial.
Next load up your song
Then go to "Sound Effects" to Change "Speed and Pitch" then increase the pitch to how ever it sounds good TO YOU don't let anyone judge how it sounds.
Finnaly click File>Save As> Choose your settings> Then Save!
YOU'RE DONE!
sorry quotes from me are illegal in other people's signatures sry
Jumpcore thats what the bass is for.
HFUNightcore

Post by HFUNightcore » July 30th, 2014, 5:34 pm

LonelyLittleAngel wrote:
(c) WavePad
WavePad is pretty straight forward.
1st Buy WavePad because it isn't free unless you want to use the 1 week trial.
Next load up your song
Then go to "Sound Effects" to Change "Speed and Pitch" then increase the pitch to how ever it sounds good TO YOU don't let anyone judge how it sounds.
Finnaly click File>Save As> Choose your settings> Then Save!
YOU'RE DONE!
well thats too easy said everyone can do that without a tutorial but I was interested in the details...
LonelyLittleAngel
Respected Donator
Respected Donator

Post by LonelyLittleAngel » July 30th, 2014, 5:53 pm

I lost my trial so i cant put pictures but its well explained for a person that has common sense
HKO2006

Post by HKO2006 » July 30th, 2014, 8:58 pm

hko2006 wrote:When saving, use CBR 320 for mp3 and 350 VBR for m4a for the best quality. And for the Channel Encodering Mode Joint, read http://www.richardfarrar.com/what-is-joint-stereo/
Should use WAV for the best quality. And M4A for high quality storage, the solo reason you should use MP3 is that your device can't play M4A.
HFU Nightcore wrote:Thanks hko I definetly try to use your tipps for my next works :) I wonder how long it took for you to make such a huge tutorial?
Had the idea of making a new tutorial since I read the old one. Sry I can't recall how much time it took making it, I edit the post from time to time whenever I have some new findings/found errors to fix, spending few hours here and few more there. I would say 7 days if counted in using full 24 hours a day.
LonelyLittleAngel wrote:I lost my trial so i cant put pictures but its well explained for a person that has common sense
Well details are the points of the tutorial consider the difference of saving the track as 128 MP3 and 320 MP3 and people are not familiar with audio format, audio quality, etc.
Useful threads/links
What is Nightcore 101
Nightcore Know Your Meme

Kestrel0907

Post by Kestrel0907 » September 23rd, 2014, 7:37 am

Stickied the topic.
There's good stuff around here. :)
HKO2006

Post by HKO2006 » September 23rd, 2014, 8:19 am

Kestrel0907 wrote:Stickied the topic.
Thank you :D
Still need to update/add quite a few stuff tho.
Useful threads/links
What is Nightcore 101
Nightcore Know Your Meme

HFUNightcore

Post by HFUNightcore » September 23rd, 2014, 9:53 am

hko2006 wrote:
Kestrel0907 wrote:Stickied the topic.
Thank you :D
Still need to update/add quite a few stuff tho.
would say you can make the genres clearer and tell that Euro Trance,Euro Dance,Italo Dance and Hands Up is nightcore able. And some sort of newer style of Euro Dance and other sub genres too.

I would add this one:

Why Euro Trance is almost the only genre that you can nightcore:

Euro Trance is a hybrid of Dream trance, Progressive trance, Hard trance and Eurodance music incorporating hardstyle bass drums and trance elements. It is closely related to uplifting trance. The trance synths at times can sound like techno hoovers with trancey effects and strings backing it up. The vocals are often pitched up for the most part, but sometimes they can be heard as in normal pitch range. This is often confused as vocal trance because of its use of vocals. The lyrical content is usually primitive, containing an introduction to the song with usually no or little drums, and often includes renderings of classic Happy hardcore anthems or melodies. Also some of the middle '90s Happy Hardcore producers started to produce tracks in this style.

and then say the original nightcore group only nightcored euro trance. There are only a few songs from other trance sub genres like hard trance and uplifting trance that you can nightcore because they have much euro trance elements but actually euro trance is what fits the most.
HKO2006

Post by HKO2006 » March 2nd, 2015, 1:35 am

Just found out how to nightcore with FL Studio and how to avoid killing the quality even when the tempo and pitch do not match.
The following sample is Clutch feat. Beha - The Light (Edit), the goal is to add 33% in pitch and 20% in tempo.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

1 The Light (Edit).mp3 is the original
2 Audacity 52920 11.1111Pitch is used Audacity to set the rate to 52920 (120% to 44100), then add 11.1111 in Change Pitch. Not sure how to describe it, messed the bass drum/doubled bass drum? Older fan made nightcore tend to be having more of this issue.
3 WavePad 120Speed and Pitch 11.1111Pitch.mp3, 120 Speed and Pitch change then add 11.1111 to Pitch. No more double bass drum but muffled.
4 VDJ 33Keylock 20Tempo.mp3, the best result before FL, slide the pitch bar to 33%, toggle key lick, slide the pitch bar to 20%, so the pitch is 33% and the tempo is 20%, no muffled bass drum but still has some doubled bass drum.

Here is the tricky part. With FL, I have two way of achieving 33% in pitch and 20% in tempo but sure which is better. First one is change pitch and tempo to 120% then add 111% to pitch, the second one is change pitch and tempo to 133% then add 111% to time to lengthen the song and to lower the tempo.
FL 52920 110.96Pitch ProDefault.mp3, set rate to 52920 (120% compare to 44100) then set pitch to 110.96% (cloest to 111%), Method used is Pro Default
FL 58800 110.96Time ProDefault.mp3, set rate to58800 (133.3333% compare to 44100) then set time to 110.96 to lengthen the song (to lower the tempo), Method used is Pro Default

The wav files are exported from FL, and the m4a files are exported from Audacity using the wav files.

The following is the comparison of the spectrum image of the WAVs of the 58800 one and the 52920 one.
58800 http://imgur.com/fEDgHzV
52920 http://imgur.com/owWFMuO
58800 has a taller spectrum than 52920. Not sure how does it affect the quality though.

Things to compare
FL Methods, not sure which is the best for nigthcore
http://www.image-line.com/support/FLHel ... tretch.htm
Useful threads/links
What is Nightcore 101
Nightcore Know Your Meme

emilemil1

Re: How to make Nightcore (NIGHTCORE TUTORIAL) UPDATED

Post by emilemil1 » March 2nd, 2015, 9:24 am

FL has always had better time-stretching methods, but afaik there are still none of them that can properly handle all forms of audio. They're optimized to be used with a single instrument in a narrow frequency range, though typically you CAN find certain songs that will be time-stretched pretty much flawlessly with one method or another. However, it never works in all cases.

Generally, the more intensive your song is in a wide range of frequencies, the worse it will sound when time-stretched. Fat kicks, wide synths, heavy compression, etc., they usually prove the most problematic.

Anyway, I listened to the samples and while they're definitely better than the results produced by the more basic editors, it's still far from a perfect method. I can still clearly hear the quality degradation, especially in the low end whenever the kick hits. If I would have heard this song without knowing anything about it, I wouldn't have thought it time-stretched but rather of very low bit rate.
LonelyLittleAngel
Respected Donator
Respected Donator

Post by LonelyLittleAngel » March 9th, 2015, 1:47 pm

Well used only FL Studio only once, i think its okay. Not really my type of audio editor/mixer. I do like Audition by adobe, which is a really good one and much more user friendly.
ApeironNightcore

Post by ApeironNightcore » September 29th, 2015, 1:32 pm

Um I'm currently using Audition for my nightcore...
Does anyone know how the izotope radius algorithm affects the song? Cause every time I do it it sounds weird (scraping sounds and such). Anyone know why?