Still confused on what is nightcore

For Nightcore discussion in general.
xenthm

Still confused on what is nightcore

Post by xenthm » January 9th, 2014, 8:14 am

Ugh so after reading Kirby's post "What is Nightcore?" and many others, I still have some uncertainties...

So basically nightcore is a remix of a trance, techno or dance song, with faster BPM and higher pitch. But it can also be an original song with a higher than normal BPM for trance, techno or dance. Nightcore can only be those 3 genres, nothing else? Is there an example of a 100% nightcore song? I find it weird that I find trance songs with the same BPM as nightcore, so what is the difference between the 2?

Sorry for asking so much, I just wanted an exact definition of nightcore XD. Thanks
HKO2006

Re: Still confused on what is nightcore

Post by HKO2006 » January 9th, 2014, 10:00 am

Try the playlist below
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 553EB99A95
and
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4A1B368254439740
and
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... jG16zXMEvi

(I believe) Usually nightcore uploaders do not remix the song instead just literally nightcore it. Some DO remix the songs and add stronger bass.
Sorry the song below is not truely a nightcore song but just to illustrate people like to name their speed edit and remixes that way. I am reviewing so I am protect by copyright law 107. ╮( ̄▽ ̄)╭  Sorry can't give you more definition but there it is. Try to nightcore a song if it sounds like the songs above, you have made a good nightcore song.
Last edited by HKO2006 on March 8th, 2014, 9:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Welcome to Nightcore Universe! Enjoy your stay as much as you enjoy the original Nightcore songs!
Useful threads/links
What is Nightcore 101
Nightcore Channel Database
Nightcore Know Your Meme
How to make Nightcore (NIGHTCORE TUTORIAL) UPDATED
Speeding up seems to be a little magic making things a little bit more appealing.

NightcoreSlax

Post by NightcoreSlax » January 9th, 2014, 10:15 am

First of all, you cannot create nightcore music directly. And now I'm going to tell you why :)

Nightcore is the name of a musical group that used to make happy hardcore songs with pitched up voices.
The point of nightcoring a song (and this is what people often miss) is that sometimes the actual song can sound better speeded up and with pitched voices, because it remembers Nightcore's melodies and atmospheres. But "Nightcore" is just a name (that nowadays is overused) to describe a song that has been brought from dance/trance/techno/hands up to happy hardcore, speeding it up.

The reason you can use ONLY techno genres to create nightcore is because the final genre you want is something near the happy hardcore genre, from Wikipedia:
Happy hardcore is a genre of music typified by a very fast tempo (usually around 160–180 BPM), often coupled with solo vocals and sentimental lyrics.

Indeed, if you try to create a nightcore song directly, you're actually creating a happy hardcore song. That's why Nightcore is a genre only related to remixes of techno songs. And that's why nightcoring a dubstep, rock, pop, commercial, or any other genre that is not suitable to become near to the happy hardcore sounds, is not meant to be called "nightcore".

And just to clarify, happy hardcore is not equal to nightcore because the first one is a creation, the second one is a remix to make a song sounds like the first one. ^-^

EDIT:
For example, the song that hko2006 posted above (Glad You Came) IS NOT A NIGHTCORE. It's just a speeded up shit of a mainstream song. It has nothing to do with real nightcore songs, or with hardcore. Plus it has a horrible clipping sound when the bass drops. ç___ç
HKO2006

Post by HKO2006 » January 9th, 2014, 10:42 am

Thank you, it is a very clear explaination Slax.
Sorry I have a bad taste and I sincerely say it sounds good (undoubtly speeding up thing works better for some cases, like angel with blah blah blah)
You are right, the word nightcore is overused and misunderstood and simplified to be just the process of speeding up a song.
I read one of the maikel's old thread/reply, he said "never go mainstream" or thing similar to it. Which me feel very sad as that is exactly what most of the "nightcore" uploader doing on YouTure right now.

Actually, the problem is not people speeding up songs but messing with the what old good nightcore truely is before the mainstream got "nightcore'd", which I have mentioned in other threads before.

Slax, I can see you are strongly disagree with the idea of naming a speed eidt/mix of a random song means "nightcore'd", but how far will you go for it and inevitably join the fight?
Request editorship today, WE need you.
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/nightcore
Last edited by HKO2006 on January 9th, 2014, 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to Nightcore Universe! Enjoy your stay as much as you enjoy the original Nightcore songs!
Useful threads/links
What is Nightcore 101
Nightcore Know Your Meme
Speeding up seems to be a little magic making things a little bit more appealing.

NightcoreSlax

Post by NightcoreSlax » January 9th, 2014, 5:41 pm

Yeah, I didn't say that not-nightcores are always bad. It's just that they aren't properly "Nightcores", so they should be called something else.

And what should I do exactly to fight for the real Nightcore meaning? xD
Zurd

Post by Zurd » January 9th, 2014, 6:22 pm

Slax, you not only create awesome nightcore, you're also excellent at making a description of nightcore!
NightcoreSlax

Post by NightcoreSlax » January 9th, 2014, 6:49 pm

Thanks ^///^
Namahage

Post by Namahage » January 9th, 2014, 6:53 pm

So does that mean that the true nightcore that we've been listening to is actually happy hardcore music?
The media acting as the eyes of the society ought to practice its role with the highest journalistic ethics possible; feeding the society with information of unquestionable source to perpetuate the credibility and the moral obligation bestowed to it.
NightcoreSlax

Post by NightcoreSlax » January 9th, 2014, 7:36 pm

Namahage wrote:So does that mean that the true nightcore that we've been listening to is actually happy hardcore music?
I think it's yes and no.

Yes about the sounds, the speed and the feelings.
No about the lenght and the kicks:
Happy hardcore is created already fast, so it has more bars (in techno songs usually is a set of 8 beats) in the same amount of time than a trance/hands up/dance song, so everything lasts longer (the intro/outro, the breakdowns, the risings, the drops). Plus, the kicks in a happy/UK hardcore song usually are more "cutting" and less bouncy than in the other genres.
That's why nightcore music is waaay more catchy and so many people like it even if they don't like happy hardcore ^-^
HKO2006

Post by HKO2006 » January 9th, 2014, 7:46 pm

Now we are hearing some REAL tutorial than just how to use audacity and wavepad, more please.
Useful threads/links
What is Nightcore 101
Nightcore Know Your Meme

xenthm

Post by xenthm » January 10th, 2014, 1:13 am

OHHHHHH so happy hardcore is basically sped up techno/dance/trance, but its not remixed from a song. Its original.
And nightcore IS a remix of a techno/dance/trance song, to make it sound like happy hardcore.
HKO2006

Post by HKO2006 » January 10th, 2014, 6:31 am

I dont know much about music but I think "happy hardcore is basically sped up techno/dance/trance" will quite upset happy hardcore fans.
http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_hardcore‎
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_hardcore‎
Useful threads/links
What is Nightcore 101
Nightcore Know Your Meme

xenthm

Post by xenthm » January 10th, 2014, 8:40 am

I didn't mean to upset any fans, but I think its what it technically is. Welp maybe I'm wrong, idk
Zurd

Post by Zurd » January 10th, 2014, 8:50 am

hko2006 wrote:I dont know much about music but I think "happy hardcore is basically sped up techno/dance/trance" will quite upset happy hardcore fans.
http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_hardcore‎
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_hardcore‎
I'm a big happy hardcore fan, if I had to choose one genre of music to listen forever it will be this one and what he said doesn't upset me in the least because it's true. It's a very simple definition but true nonetheless :)

p.s. But if I really had to choose one genre of music now it would be Nightcore, it's sweeter and faster than anything!
NightcoreSlax

Post by NightcoreSlax » January 10th, 2014, 12:18 pm

xenthm wrote:OHHHHHH so happy hardcore is basically sped up techno/dance/trance, but its not remixed from a song. Its original.
And nightcore IS a remix of a techno/dance/trance song, to make it sound like happy hardcore.
Well, you can see it in that way, but then it really depends on the artist's style and what feeling the artist is trying to give and the age you're referring to.

For example at the beginning (1990 - early 2000) happy hardcore was super happy and bouncy but sounded everything but nightcore (even the earlier nightcore)/hands up/trance because it was at the beginning and also there wasn't the "culture of bass" that we have now. Back then a fast breakbeat kick was already considered hardcore.
Just to mention, Now Is The Time (1995) or Field Of Dreams (2001).

Now we have more trancy and romantic melodies, punching kicks and super bass in our happy hardcore music (so much that happy hardcore evolved into UK hardcore). Just look at all the happy hardcore compilations out there like Hardcore Heaven or Clubland X-Treme Hardcore or at the new indipendent artists.
For example, Save Me (2006), I Will Pick You Up (2013).

In conclusion, I think (it's just my opinion) that only if you refer to nowadays happy/uk hardcore you can say that speeded up trance/hands up/dance sounds like happy hardcore.
Sorry for this long post but I'm a little maniac, so I needed to precise :P
Zurd

Post by Zurd » January 11th, 2014, 1:25 am

To me these new happy hardore songs are hard dance instead especially S3RL. Something very peculiar about real happy hardcore is the off beat which you don't find nowadays.
xenthm

Post by xenthm » January 11th, 2014, 6:04 am

Thats the problem, so many subgenres of EDM. And some of them are so hard to tell apart from another.
NightcoreSlax

Post by NightcoreSlax » January 11th, 2014, 6:05 pm

Zurd wrote:To me these new happy hardore songs are hard dance instead especially S3RL. Something very peculiar about real happy hardcore is the off beat which you don't find nowadays.
Mmm, what do you mean with "off beat"? :o
Zurd

Post by Zurd » January 11th, 2014, 9:30 pm

NightcoreSlax wrote:
Zurd wrote:To me these new happy hardore songs are hard dance instead especially S3RL. Something very peculiar about real happy hardcore is the off beat which you don't find nowadays.
Mmm, what do you mean with "off beat"? :o
Here's a start:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beat_%28m ... d_off-beat

Now check the first 4 seconds of this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5-JnEzFg6c

it goes boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boomboomboom

boom = on beat
boomboomboom = off beat
NightcoreSlax

Post by NightcoreSlax » January 12th, 2014, 10:31 am

Zurd wrote: it goes boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boomboomboom

boom = on beat
boomboomboom = off beat
Oooh now I got it! I always loved that effect but I didn't know its actual name since now.
Anyway I agree, happy/UK hardcore nowadays uses off-beat very rarely.
Faster genres like gabber hardcore or speedcore still use it.