How to Nightcore a song! (NIGHTCORE TUTORIAL)

For Nightcore discussion in general.
jd-Fairo

Re: How to Nightcore a song! (NIGHTCORE TUTORIAL)

Post by jd-Fairo » November 21st, 2011, 12:16 am

hola soy nuevo en este foro me gustan tus canciones de nightcore probare los tutoriales gracias
RC's translation wrote:Hello, I'm new to this forum and I like that your Nightcores proves what have been said in these tutorials

RC edit: That's very nice of you, but you should not be using any otehr language than English on the forum unless accompained with a translation. You may use Google Translate if you need so. The posting of the original message is of course a way to limit drama since translations will sometimes (often) be sloppy.

Eso está muy bien de usted, pero usted no debe utilizar un idioma distinto del Inglés en el foro a menos que acompañado de una traducción. Usted puede usar Google Translate si necesita hacerlo. La publicación del mensaje original es, por supuesto, una manera de limitar el drama desde traducciones a veces (a menudo) ser descuidado
RaveComing
ヂュード アイム イーティング チッキン

Post by RaveComing » November 21st, 2011, 12:10 pm

StereoT wrote:Hey this is the first time this has happened when i used wave pad with a song but when i edit it then save it and re open it the song sounds dampened but i didnt dampen it anyone know what went wrong?
Welcome to the cold world of lossy transcodes.

• 1. Thou shalt convert a mp3 to another, lest you hear a clear deviance
    2. Thou shalt get mad at lossy formats

3. Thou shalt learn to value of our Lord FLAC

4. Thou shalt learn of the Holy Trinity of Losslessness

5. Thou shalt call the Head PCM, the Body FLAC and the various extensions WAV

6. Thou shalt rage at lossy formats once more
    7. Thou shalt roam the seven seas of the interweb to share to good news

8. Thou shalt honor our Lord and mention Its name in every thread worthy of It

9. Thou shalt educate the uneducated

X. Thou shalt never again praise any lossy format
But really, I'm thinking you used a mp3 file to nightcore, right? And there's also the fact that Wavepad as a whole is crappy when it comes to nightcorering UNLESS you only play with "Speed".
EvokerN

Post by EvokerN » November 24th, 2011, 3:44 am

Could we use FL Studio to make Nightcore song? Because that's the only software I've found so far that can add drum beats etc. I wanna try go all out :3
ImageImage
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » November 30th, 2011, 3:09 am

I just registered to say that there's a way in Audacity to losslessly speed up or slow down audio. Instead of using anything in the "Effect" menu, use the "Set Rate" function instead as described here:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Chang ... h_together

SET RATE & QUALITY
You'll want a sampling rate that is a relatively low multiple of your target's playback rate. For the most part, depending on how OCD you're feeling, you'll want to use multiples of:
  • 1000 (mellow); 2000 (normal); 8000 (paranoid)
For example, 56000Hz is a multiple of 8000 and therefore should provide very high quality. I've also found it to be a good starting point for Nightcore-ing a song in general.

REQUIRED FOR PRESERVING LOSSLESS-NESS
  • - The source format the original song is in MUST be lossless
    - Make sure your "Project Rate" is the same as what you set for "Set Rate"
    - If you've made no other edits and are re-exporting a 16bit song as 16bit, make sure in
    Edit -> Preferences -> Quality under High-quality Conversion that "Dither" is set to "None".
EXAMPLE (currently outdated, will be updated)
  • 1) Aquire the song "Naraku no Hana" by Shimamiya Eiko (used as the OP for the Higurashi Kai anime)
    2) In Audacity, "Set Rate" to 56000Hz
    3) ??? (click the play button)
    4) Profit by having recreated this: http://youtu.be/O0frf7fxSF4
BENEFITS
  • 1. If your sound card supports 96KHz or higher, you'll be able to preserve those higher frequencies that would have been lost with forcing the traditional "pitch adjust" to work within 44.1KHz.
    2. For resampling in post-production (like for a CD), Audacity's resampler is actually kind of crappy. This way you instead can use an uber external resampler like SoX or PPHS @ "Ultra Mode".
    3. YouTube keeps the original uploaded file for future-proofing, so just upload the original un-resampled version and let them take care of the rest.

If anyone's wondering, I learned this method from converting Nintendo 64 songs from USF data rips; for whatever reason they use some "slightly off-standard" sampling rates like 22047Hz and 32006Hz.
Last edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 on December 15th, 2012, 4:28 pm, edited 20 times in total.
Qoolioz

Post by Qoolioz » December 1st, 2011, 2:43 am

Can you make a tutorial for Virtual DJ? I heard from a lot of people saying Virtual DJ is better.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » December 1st, 2011, 3:09 am

Not to brag, but if you use the method I described, it doesn't matter what program you use, since it's a lossless edit anyway. The only part that matters quality-wise is the quality of the resampler of your sound card, your media player, or YouTube's.

If it was too technical or hard to understand, I can put together a really simple-to-follow guide or something.

(you know what, I think I'll actually go test YouTube's resampler quality)
RaveComing
ヂュード アイム イーティング チッキン

Post by RaveComing » December 3rd, 2011, 12:40 am

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:A bunch of useless comments
All of what you said is very nice, except you're creating some sexy transcodes unless your source file is lossless. Transcodes kill you at night. To my knowledge, there's only a handful of programs which can perform lossless edits on lossy formats and then, said programs can only play with some meta data and cannot work with the file itself as it would need to uncompress it to PCM (Transcodes!). Also, there's no need to save a CD-sourced file at over 44.1khz since the CD is pre-sampled at 44.1khz. A vinyl can hit up to 99.6khz. The applying of a dither is only for viable for 24bit source files (unless you wish to create some cool 8bits track). 24bit files are gathered from a vinyl or via web. There is no such thing as a real 25+bit track unless since the human ear cannot hear over 99.6khz which is the max sample rate for a 24bits track. A 25+bit Mastering would thus be equal to that of a 24bit. By any mean, I would recommend agaisnt dithering as it makes a lossless file lose info (a dithered file may not regain lost data.) Also, there's no such thing as a "High Quality Dither". The system (unless you're using a crappy system/program) is Dither Xbits>YBits Triangular/Rectangular. Always pick triangle, it's cooler and sounds better. And please, never make usage of Variable Dither rates, it makes me sad and is totally useless.

Also, 55.6khz is an awful number, keep to 44.1; 44.8 and 99.6 (or 22.05 if you like 8bits)

I'm a pony, so I know what I'm talking about.
Kirby
The Scapegoat

Post by Kirby » December 3rd, 2011, 12:52 am

RaveComing wrote:I'm a pony, so I know what I'm talking about.
But you're not Vinyl
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » December 3rd, 2011, 4:20 am

RaveComing wrote:a bunch of stuff
I don't really want to break it to you, but Rainbow Dash isn't exactly the smartest Pony in Ponyville...

Anyway, you mean to tell me you guys are making these edits WITHOUT lossless sources? The method I described is only meant for lossless sources, so no wonder what I said made no sense to you. But to your credit, I didn't actually specify a lossless source, so I at least thank you for mentioning that; I've added it to the "lossless requirements" list.

Also, it seems that you missed the part where you're supposed to resample outside of Audacity. Nobody is expected to play 56KHz files natively - you're supposed to resample it in real time via something like Foobar2000 or your sound card (assuming it's a quality one), or in post production if it's going on a CD. YouTube will resample things themselves, so there's no point to re-sample something before uploading and ruin future-proofing.

Thirdly, dithering? Like I said, L-O-S-S-L-E-S-S. My method avoids that completely since you're not actually editing the waveform, but just making it play back faster. Heck I even did SHA-1 comparison between the original song re-saved as LPCM WAV and the nightcore version slowed back down to 44.1KHz (both saved with Audacity as 16bit with no dithering). I got EXACTLY THE SAME HASH.

Oh, and no offense, but it really does make you look bad if you can't even get the standard sampling rates correct. :/ It's not 44.8KHz and 99.6KHz - it's 48KHz and 96KHz, which go with all the other rates that are multiples of 8000 (8KHz, 16KHz, 24KHz, 32Khz, etc.). This is important because 56KHz (not 55.6KHz) is also a multiple of 8000.

Speaking of which, 22,5Hz isn't just for 8-bit - many 2nd and 3rd party games on the Nintendo 64 use 22047KHz (GoldenEye 007 probably being the most famous).

And really, bold text for your whole post? Isn't that borderline-spamming?

EDIT: I re-written the "Benefits" section in an attempt to clarify why that method is better.
RaveComing
ヂュード アイム イーティング チッキン

Post by RaveComing » December 3rd, 2011, 10:22 am

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:
Speaking of which, 22,5Hz isn't just for 8-bit - many 2nd and 3rd party games on the Nintendo 64 use 22047KHz (GoldenEye 007 probably being the most famous).
22047khz is the best multiple of 8 ever. Also, I do admit I should have written 96 and 48, although to my defence I was sleepy as heck yesterday night.

The thing is, I do lossless edits, but I think only 2-3 persons outside of you and me on this forum would understand your text anyway for the simple fact that they transcode mp3 either 3 or 4 times before it gets a play on Youtube.

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote: And really, bold text for your whole post? Isn't that borderline-spamming?
I've been using bold text for months now and do not plan upon changing it
Kirby wrote:
RaveComing wrote:I'm a pony, so I know what I'm talking about.
But you're not Vinyl
True, but RIppy sent me here
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » December 3rd, 2011, 10:39 am

RaveComing wrote: The thing is, I do lossless edits, but I think only 2-3 persons outside of you and me on this forum would understand your text anyway for the simple fact that they transcode mp3 either 3 or 4 times before it gets a play on Youtube.
Then would it be too much to mention in the guide that you save to a lossless format, and list several popular common formats as well? And a quick note that "the higher quality the source format is, the better" couldn't hurt, could it?

Or do I just still have too much faith in humanity?

Anyway, the "Set Rate" thing does actually work on lossy sources as well, but the lossless factor is completely negated obviously. The only benefits would be avoiding Audacity's resampler, that is you could still just upload the resulting audio directly to YouTube.

EDIT: I just stress-tested YouTube's resampler with a 52189Hz Nightcore clip and it turns out that it's a bit worse than Foobar2000's PPHS @ ultra mode. However, seeing how I intentionally chose a mathematically insane sample rate, it's likely that typical multiple-of-2000 ones would be fine.
RaveComing
ヂュード アイム イーティング チッキン

Post by RaveComing » December 4th, 2011, 12:09 am

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:
RaveComing wrote: Or do I just still have too much faith in humanity?
This, and I'm 100% cereal. Only a few of us have access to an unlimited amount of lossless music for free. The majority of the community would not buy lossless tracks and even if they did, they would not here the difference and know how to manipulate them (true story).

People who really want to invest time into making lossless nightcore can PM me and I will kindly answer them and answer their every question; but these persons need to either have access to the track they want in lossless (FLAC, WAV, PCM, ALAC, APE and TTA are the most used/popular formats) or be willing to buy their music.

So ya, the community here is into lossy transcodes and no matter how hard you'll try you will not change that fact, for said community mainly hails from Youtube. And boy, Youtube is fucking audio quality serious, right? Not.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » December 4th, 2011, 6:55 am

RaveComing wrote:And boy, Youtube is fucking audio quality serious, right? Not.
Somebody hasn't listened to YouTube's 720p & 1080p WebM formats. 192kbps vorbis says hi.

Yes it's still lossy, but that's arguably even higher quality than Amazon's 256kbps MP3 store.
RaveComing
ヂュード アイム イーティング チッキン

Post by RaveComing » December 4th, 2011, 9:45 am

Vorbis is worth shit if it's CBR; you need to use log to make it worthwhile. Well, in anycase a 192CBR Vorbis > 256 MP3 with Lame, but then Vorbis q5 does thet exact same job for less space. And youtube is also a transcode.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » December 5th, 2011, 8:29 am

Um... actually they AREN'T using CBR. You can see this by downloading a WebM file from YouTube, opening it in Foobar2000, and looking at the bitrate. 99% of the time it'll stay over 200kbps. AFAIK, you can't even MAKE CBR vorbis - hence why you only get the Q# option in something like Audacity. Also if you view the bitrate of an OGG made with Audacity with something like MediaInfo, it WILL report back a single value - like it'll say 192kbps for Q6.

Also, YouTube uses Q6. not Q5.

And even if it is a transcode, Q6 from lossless is really quite good. I know some professionally-made media-rich products that even use that quality (specifically the Fate/stay night visual novel).
Last edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 on December 5th, 2011, 8:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
RaveComing
ヂュード アイム イーティング チッキン

Post by RaveComing » December 5th, 2011, 8:34 am

I know Q6 hovers around 192kbps, I have Adobe Audition to analyze bitrates and all that kind of crap and foobar2k reads bitrate for you each 0.5 second or something. But remember that logarithms tell you at which value your bitrate will around around, so a Q6 can effectively (and will) reach over 192 during highly musical parts of a song, but a Q5 will reach around 192. I understand that my method of calculating might not have pelased you, but I'm the type of person to use heavy lowpass on VBR, so you know that my point makes sense.

And Vorbis does Log, ABR and VBR btw

F/SN is OP, no wonder they'd use Vorbis
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » December 5th, 2011, 8:36 am

Bloody nora, don't comment when I'm still editing my post. :P

Go back and read it again, and either make a new post or edit yours accordingly.
RaveComing
ヂュード アイム イーティング チッキン

Post by RaveComing » December 5th, 2011, 8:40 am

Edited
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » December 5th, 2011, 8:43 am

RaveComing wrote:F/SN is OP, no wonder they'd use Vorbis
I'm sorry, but acronyms aren't my thing... the only "OP" I know of is "opening video", which isn't the case here - OGG vorbis is used for all the music.
RaveComing
ヂュード アイム イーティング チッキン

Post by RaveComing » December 5th, 2011, 8:45 am

F/SN = Fate/Stay Night

And I meant Op as in Over Powered.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » December 5th, 2011, 8:46 am

I knew F/sn = Fate/stay night :P It was the over-powered thing.

...though I still don't even understand that. Over-powered? Am I missing some sort of lingo here?
RaveComing
ヂュード アイム イーティング チッキン

Post by RaveComing » December 5th, 2011, 8:47 am

I play League of Legends if this can help

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?s4bgbxtswg92s94

VBR is Log for Poweramp.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » December 5th, 2011, 8:53 am

So you CAN make CBR vorbis... interesting that everything I use doesn't seem allow me to do so - perhaps it's depreciated? (with good reason I may add)
RaveComing
ヂュード アイム イーティング チッキン

Post by RaveComing » December 5th, 2011, 9:02 am

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote: (with good reason I may add)
Agreed. VBR over CBR anytime.

But yeah, I although I can see the point of Youtube reducing file size (since Vorbis produces such small files) I still do not get why it would need to transcode everything except for Lossless (where files could jsut become to big for their server and be too long to load for many people.)

It really pains me when I see someone claiming is file is a mp3 320CBR on youtube; for I know it's not a real one (I did not know YT used Ogg, but I did know that they'd transcode every single track sent to them). Which brings me back to my original point. Youtube transcodes the shit out of everything with no discrimination to original format's container or bitrate; this community if Youtube based, built and mainly maintained. You won't ever be able to have a fair amount of people swtich from transcoding to Lossless (which YT would turn into an ok Q6). I think it's better to drop the matter and support the few people who would like to upload non-transcoded files on Youtube.

Btw, am I wrong if I tell that YT add marks to your video according to your original file tags? Because if yes, an important step towards making a Nightcore Video would be to strip all tags as to impede the speed at which labels will strike down smaller uploader's account (will not work for bigger accounts as they are grabbing all of the views and thus are always on top of YT search engine)
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » December 5th, 2011, 9:11 am

RaveComing wrote:It really pains me when I see someone claiming is file is a mp3 320CBR on youtube; for I know it's not a real one
Even I have commited this "crime", but that's because lossless was simply not available. You make do with what you can get, and dang it I TRIED to get lossless - it just didn't exist! But I do at least say what the uploaded SOURCE is, not that the result is actually that.
RaveComing wrote:Btw, am I wrong if I tell that YT add marks to your video according to your original file tags? Because if yes, an important step towards making a Nightcore Video would be to strip all tags as to impede the speed at which labels will strike down smaller uploader's account (will not work for bigger accounts as they are grabbing all of the views and thus are always on top of YT search engine)
I do not know simply because all my uploads lack metadata. This is usually because I export all my edits as plain WAV PCM before converting to FLAC, and WAV doesn't hold any metadata.
TechnoWolfie

Post by TechnoWolfie » February 9th, 2012, 8:28 pm

I have Wavepad sound Editor and i want to know how to do a bass boost
Kirby
The Scapegoat

Post by Kirby » February 9th, 2012, 8:51 pm

TechnoWolfie wrote:I have Wavepad sound Editor and i want to know how to do a bass boost
.. did you read the first post?
Us so da

Post by Us so da » February 11th, 2012, 11:38 am

i'm not sure whether you like this or not maikel, BUT YOU ARE my favorite all time favorite artist. your if i die young nightcore brought me to tears. :')
Bobjon

Post by Bobjon » February 24th, 2012, 2:12 pm

Loved the tut Maikel :D
mrfurret

Post by mrfurret » April 1st, 2012, 2:35 am

Where are you supposed to get your starter songs? (iTunes songs won't open in Audacity)
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all.

~Emily Dickinson