Destiny

Anything and everything that doesn't fit in another section.
Shogun Urahara

Destiny

Post by Shogun Urahara » January 25th, 2011, 3:43 am

This is my first post, hence there being no avatar or sig. trust me, once i get hold of gimp again, i will have a sig.
Back on topic.
Do you believe in Destiny, Fate, or whatever you like to call it. Or do you believe we have free will?
I'll start. I Believe we have a slight mix of both. We have a set point we must arrive at, But choices we make, will effect the timing of events we must experience. I believe this due to my (albeit limited) experience in life. Discuss your views.
GuitarG20
Resident Car Expert

Re: Destiny

Post by GuitarG20 » January 25th, 2011, 8:21 am

I believe in a hybrid of the two...
I believe that God gives us a destiny that we are supposed to live out, and he has various ways of letting us know what we are supposed to do. But at the same time, I feel that he gives us free will in order that we might control our own lives, and hopefully grow closer to him and fulfill the destiny he has for us.
Shogun Urahara

Post by Shogun Urahara » January 25th, 2011, 9:25 am

but how can we truly have free will, when the events of our lives are planned out ahead of us, and we ourselves can only affect the timing?
Hip

Post by Hip » January 25th, 2011, 10:15 am

I do not believe in any higher power, so for me I believe in pure free will. However each choice a person makes will have some effect on those around them, and everything else although it may only be a very small effect.
I would say that the only fixed part of your life is the very beginning, and that where you end up, is based on your own and others choices.

Thanks
Hip
Shogun Urahara

Post by Shogun Urahara » January 25th, 2011, 10:22 am

everyone ends up the same, it's fixed. Death. how you die, however, may be based on your choices. person likes cake. always eats it. likelihood is, death by heart attack or diabetes.
Jedge

Post by Jedge » January 25th, 2011, 10:31 am

Shogun Urahara wrote:This is my first post, hence there being no avatar or sig. trust me, once i get hold of gimp again, i will have a sig.
Back on topic.
Do you believe in Destiny, Fate, or whatever you like to call it. Or do you believe we have free will?
I'll start. I Believe we have a slight mix of both. We have a set point we must arrive at, But choices we make, will effect the timing of events we must experience. I believe this due to my (albeit limited) experience in life. Discuss your views.
Welcome!

I also agree that we have a slight mix of both.
We have a path laid out for us, but choices we make affect the course of that path.
My Channel : ) ☆✖y4™ ツ ✔
http://www.youtube.com/user/xy4Trance
Shogun Urahara

Post by Shogun Urahara » January 25th, 2011, 10:42 am

Thank you Jedge. I agree, our choices can influence the course. but there are fixed events that we must experience, one way or another.
Phone
Professor

Post by Phone » January 25th, 2011, 2:11 pm

I believe our destiny is laid out before us in many paths.
Think of your life like a road. There are multiple paths on the road. Your free will allows you to choose what road to take or to stray from the road.
I believe that before we are sent to this world, we plan our destinies, but not how most people perceive. We plan multiple destinies, the one we come to conclusion to is up to our choices we make, cause more than ourselves affects who we are. Which affects what we do. Destiny is very much free will, but also a set path. If you mess up your life, it's not because that was your destiny, it is because you CHOSE to make it your destiny.
Double posting is PROHIBITED.
READ THE RULES.
[/color]
Hip

Post by Hip » January 25th, 2011, 3:09 pm

Phone wrote:I believe our destiny is laid out before us in many paths.
Think of your life like a road. There are multiple paths on the road. Your free will allows you to choose what road to take or to stray from the road.
I believe that before we are sent to this world, we plan our destinies, but not how most people perceive. We plan multiple destinies, the one we come to conclusion to is up to our choices we make, cause more than ourselves affects who we are. Which affects what we do. Destiny is very much free will, but also a set path. If you mess up your life, it's not because that was your destiny, it is because you CHOSE to make it your destiny.
From what you have written - I take it as, there are many paths we can take and the one we do take is down to free will, of both the person and others around him/her. So is that not really complete free will, as there is no set beginning or end.

What is "destiny" ?
As I have always taken it as being possible to only have one, which is ever changing and never set.

Also why do you believe it to be so ?
Not exactly an easy thing to answer but would be nice to see you take on it.

Thanks
Hip
GuitarG20
Resident Car Expert

Post by GuitarG20 » January 25th, 2011, 8:30 pm

I like the way Phone says this. We have a set destiny, and what really differs are the paths we can take to arrive at this destiny, but I disagree and say that we will always end up at the same destiny. granted, this could be as simple as being dead, or it could be much more complex.
JustSound

Post by JustSound » January 25th, 2011, 8:39 pm

How can free will coexist with divine preordination?

I believe no one has a predefined life. I believe that when born, everyone's life has virtually unlimited possibilities, it's their experiences and the people they spend time with that shapes their life. Like if you think back to how you got into Nightcore/trance, you'll (probably) find that it was a chain of events that led up to you liking this kind of music. For me, I went to a private school; at that school we took a class on Fruity Loops; I was intrigued and started making my own music; I looked up to see what other artists produced in the same genre, and I found my way to Nightcore. That wasn't determined at birth, it was the decision by my parents to send me to private school that led up to this. Its not that I was going to end up liking techno, its that I like techno because of a decision my parents made. I probably would have never discovered the genre otherwise, and a lot of things are like that.
My latest song: Justsound- Summer Nights

Check it out!

Execrated

Post by Execrated » September 13th, 2012, 12:35 am

Pshhh, pleeeease. Roads are always congested, some are even tolled!
Cross country, baybeh! I make my OWN path!
Kestrel0907

Post by Kestrel0907 » September 13th, 2012, 4:45 pm

As old people say,
"Only we can create our own destiny" because every actions we do in the present can affect the future.
Gracono

Post by Gracono » December 8th, 2012, 2:31 pm

Newton's 3rd law of energy and motion states "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction"

Every action we take in that way affects our future and also affects those around us.

I personally believe that reincarnation happens and in that sense we make our own destiny...if any of it was predetermined we set that in motion also for the most part and it is being carried across to the next life with us.

Also in that way some patterns and cycles may be set in motion but in the moment in which we live we always have complete free will.
Monster

Post by Monster » February 25th, 2013, 12:00 am

Kestrel0907 wrote:As old people say,
"Only we can create our own destiny" because every actions we do in the present can affect the future.
True. I believe what happens in the future is carved out by the decisions we make, but I wouldn't call it a destiny. Even tho God does have a plan for us, it is up to us to carry it out. If we dont want to or are too lazy to, then it's on us.

I don't get when people say "ohhh we can't escape our fate no matter how hard we try" what does that mean? of course we cant escape death, but decisions that we make can prolong it.

I believe in free will, but with a recommended path that God wants us to follow, not a destiny. It is up to us to decide what happens in the future, but these decisions arent always what God wants for us. For example, God might want someone to become a great lawyer and a man who his faithful to God, but his decisions lead to him becoming an alcoholic. I dont really believe in "following our destiny" but i do believe in do what is right for the sake of mankind and for God. I don't belice in destiny as "different roads that we take or stray away from" I believem that throughout our lives we do good things and bad and are punished and rewarded for them. How can there be destiny if there is no end? When do we see the product - our destiny? We dont, we go to heaven or hell depending on how God judges our actions.

In short I don't believe in destiny as a layout path. I believe in punishment and reward for virtues and sins in the afterlife.
License! Thanks Namahage!
Thaigr

Post by Thaigr » February 25th, 2013, 10:33 pm

Jumping in a bit late on the discussion: I think that there is a plan, yes, but we're not guaranteed to get there. It's our job to find out what it is and make it happen. Kinda like what Monster said.
Monster

Post by Monster » February 27th, 2013, 1:59 am

Thaigr wrote:Jumping in a bit late on the discussion: I think that there is a plan, yes, but we're not guaranteed to get there. It's our job to find out what it is and make it happen. Kinda like what Monster said.
Haha its cool Thaigr I jumped in sorta late too. I'm glad to know we have similar views :)

I think its like this. Instead of being "Destined to become this or that" I think that we are all called by God to do good things that we are capable of doing, and these things can lead to bigger better things, but its up to us to carry them out.
License! Thanks Namahage!
Cosmosisification

Post by Cosmosisification » June 4th, 2013, 1:54 pm

Good evening, I guess just signing up on this site today, this will be my first actual post :)

Something I had thought about a while ago was the concept of probability. I delved my mind deeper into the prospect of this "science", and I've come to realize it's really just a pseudo-science. Think about it, if you flip a coin, there's a 50% chance landing on either side, but that's just because we don't know. If we knew every variable or could build a machine that could calculate every variable... Flip speed, velocity, air resistance, landing surface, bounce determination... Then we'd know for a fact which side the coin would land on every single time.

But how does that tie into fate and destiny? Well, I started to look up my probability concept and it's not exactly new. I had actually found a quote from some popular scientist that said "If we had a machine that could calculate the velocity and mass of every molecule in the universe, we'd know everything that has ever happened and everything that ever will happen."

With the theories of action and reaction, it kind of makes sense. The only reason we don't know what's going to happen is because we're not observant or smart enough to know the mathematical response of what has happened due to any particular set of circumstances.

Sorry if Tl:Dr, that'll probably happen a lot :p