Anyone else find this ridiculous?

Anything and everything that doesn't fit in another section.
Fernandez

Anyone else find this ridiculous?

Post by Fernandez » October 14th, 2013, 5:08 pm

On Sunday, fans of a sports team called the Houston Texans cheered when one of the team's players, Matt Schaub, got injured and had to be taken out for the rest of the game. The way the fans acted was soon criticized by the other Texans players, as well as by sports media.

Here's an article that has more detail about the incident: http://nfl.si.com/2013/10/13/matt-schau ... ans-react/

I know that sports are not popular with the NU community, but I felt like this incident raises some moral issues in society. I'm probably overreacting here, but I'm afraid that this might be the start of a disturbing trend that might extend outside of sports. I strongly hope it doesn't come to that.

Even though I may be a Raiders fan, but I agree with the players and media here. I thought the way the fans acted was disrespectful to Schaub. This incident made me feel disgusted just like them. That day, I probably felt more disgusted than a moderator after seeing a fake nightcore upload on NU.

And I thought us Raiders fans were the obnoxious ones...

What are your thoughts on this incident? Do you think it is disrespectful to cheer when someone gets injured? Have you ever seen or experienced something like this, and if so, how did it make you feel?
Is sad about the Raiders moving to Las Vegas :(
Namahage

Re: Anyone else find this ridiculous?

Post by Namahage » October 14th, 2013, 5:25 pm

Damn, that sucks...

As much as I believe that nightcore has spread to a wider array of genres beyond techno and trance, I'd hate to see the original Nightcore group receive the same treatment if one of their members got injured during a performance.

What the Texan fans did was just awful...
The media acting as the eyes of the society ought to practice its role with the highest journalistic ethics possible; feeding the society with information of unquestionable source to perpetuate the credibility and the moral obligation bestowed to it.
Zurd

Post by Zurd » October 15th, 2013, 4:27 pm

youtube for epic fail, it's darn funny, millions of views, yes it's kind of disrepectful, but if you gonna cry every time someone dies, life would be quite sad
MagicScream

Post by MagicScream » October 15th, 2013, 6:32 pm

Zurd wrote:youtube for epic fail, it's darn funny, millions of views, yes it's kind of disrepectful, but if you gonna cry every time someone dies, life would be quite sad
When I was in my senior year of high school, my English teacher gave my class a lecture on something similar to this. I can't remember exactly what she said, but I think she said that it's human nature that we laugh when other people get hurt, make mistakes, or fail.

That being said, I have seen those epic fail videos on Youtube where someone gets hurt and the video has millions of views. I admit that some of them were funny, but at the same time, I was also feeling sorry for the poor guy on the video. I kept wondering whether or not the guy was okay.
Kestrel0907

Post by Kestrel0907 » October 16th, 2013, 10:01 am

More like lack of respect and education than human nature.
Like the event that I just had participated today: While I was on my way to school, an old man fell down on the street for some reason, he couldn't talk at all and was crying and moaning, I also noticed he broke his head, then some two-three people went to help him, but didn't had a phone, when they've asked for a telephone to call for an ambulance, none wanted to give a blasted call but just watch the whole scene, some said he had "the baby disease", and that's all, I was the first to even give the people a hand with the call, I gave the location to the amublance and went to school.
So, when some people is injured, hurt, or ill, let's just abandon him right?No wonder this world is a stinking hell in the first place.
Kudos to those few people that helped the poor old man.
Zurd

Post by Zurd » October 16th, 2013, 5:02 pm

yeah that's pretty bad and stuff like that happens every day in big cities, however if you go in small villages, people go to great length to help you for whatever you need, even if they don't know you
MagicScream

Post by MagicScream » October 16th, 2013, 5:24 pm

Kestrel0907 wrote:No wonder this world is a stinking hell in the first place.
I definitely agree with you. I feel that society has gotten worse and worse as time goes by.