How to Nightcore a song! (NIGHTCORE TUTORIAL)

For Nightcore discussion in general.
Maikel631
The Nightcore Source

Post by Maikel631 » May 8th, 2010, 8:28 am

Universally, the definition of 'Nightcore' is raising the speed (tempo and pitch) of a techno/trance/dance song, creating a happier, upbeat sound.
If you would like to learn more about Nightcore and it's origins, click here.

Audacity Tutorial:
(recommended, for beginners)

First, find a song that would sound good in Nightcore style. This is actually the hardest part of this tutorial. Many people tried but failed, when making Nightcore songs. So.. Be prepared to spend a long time searching for Nightcoreable songs. Look for slow songs with female vocals! These are usually the best choices.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT WHEN LOOKING FOR SONGS TO NIGHTCORE, YOU SHOULD STAY AROUND THE GENRES OF EUROTRANCE, EURODANCE, VOCAL TRANCE, AND DANCE. ANY OTHER GENRES SPED UP (ROCK/COUNTRY/POP/ETC) SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED NIGHTCORE SONGS, BUT RATHER SPEED EDITS.
(there are so many people on YouTube who make this mistake that it's ridiculous!)

Now, we’ll start:

1: Get the free Audacity software from http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
2: Import the audio you want to make a Nightcore song from into Audacity
3: Press Effect --> Change Pitch. Increase the pitch between 20 to 30 percent.
4: Press Effect --> Change Tempo. Increase the tempo between 20 to 30 percent.
These numbers are mere guidelines; feel free to experiment until you find what sounds best. ** (see below)
5: Press File and export the song in the format you want it.

Enjoy your Nightcore song!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WavePad Sound Editor Tutorial:
(somewhat advanced xD)

Personally, I use the program WavePad Sound Editor ;)
I think its very easy to use and gives supah quality, better than Audacity :)
It's not free, though. You can download a fully-functional demo that will last for 30 days.
The website for it is here: http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/index.html

--> In the program I do:
1: Load the original song
2: Go to Effects...
3: click Speed and Pitch change...
4: There add a number (mostly choose) between 125 and 130.
--> thats what I also choose ;)

These numbers are mere guidelines; feel free to experiment until you find what sounds best. ** (see below)

ENJOY MAKING THEM!! :D

If you liked this tutorial, please come check out my Nightcore channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Maikel6311

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

** When Nightcoring songs, PLEASE make sure to keep these handy tips in mind:
unholy ftw wrote:anyways people, also make sure that your song does not approach a chipmunk-ish pitch (that is not nightcore, thats alvin and the chipmunks). and secondly, using certain effects as well as bass boost can distort your songs, make sure to maintain sound quality as high as possible (128kbps+ and 320kbps preferred). USE HIGH QUALITY AUDIO FILES for nightcore songs!!!
DO NOT rip Nightcore songs other people have uploaded and upload them on your own channel! This is blatant theft and unoriginality.
If you upload a Nightcore song which has already been uploaded before, PLEASE try to give credits to the first uploader.
I don't really go here anymore. If you wanna talk, catch me on Skype: maikel6311
jordesu
Absolute Wasteman
Absolute Wasteman

Re: How to Nightcore a song! It's back xD

Post by jordesu » May 8th, 2010, 2:51 pm

About Wavepad Sound Editor...

I'd say about 127 was a good speed to nightcore, it depends on the song I reckon.
If the voice is already sorta high-ish already, go for 124/125
If it's average or low, then we make love to 127.

Although 125 and 127 are only 2 away from each other, you can sorta notice a difference.
Maikel631
The Nightcore Source

Post by Maikel631 » May 8th, 2010, 5:53 pm

Use your own creativity ;)
Try to stay close to the hmm... 125-130 range.
somebit lower as 125, also possible, but not to much.
I don't really go here anymore. If you wanna talk, catch me on Skype: maikel6311
RaveComing
ヂュード アイム イーティング チッキン

Post by RaveComing » May 10th, 2010, 7:28 pm

For you peeps who can't get Wavepad, just get audacity (freeware). Does same job, just a lower output quality.
jordesu
Absolute Wasteman
Absolute Wasteman

Post by jordesu » May 13th, 2010, 7:55 am

For Audacity...

just speed up by 27
(Effects > Change Speed > 27)

and pitch by 10
(Effects > Change Pitch > 10)
RaveComing
ヂュード アイム イーティング チッキン

Post by RaveComing » May 13th, 2010, 9:34 am

27... O.O You guys making them WAYYYY to fast xD Anyway, I don't think you should put a set number... Mine always varies from song to song, be it pitch or speed (except when with wavepad... but that's another story xD)
Dubstep Girl
Dubstep Girl :)

Post by Dubstep Girl » June 16th, 2010, 2:03 am

yay this is still here.

anyways people, also make sure that your song does not approach a chipmunk-ish pitch (that is not nightcore, thats alvin and the chipmunks). and secondly, using certain effects as well as bass boost can distort your songs, make sure to maintain sound quality as high as possible (128kbps+ and 320kbps preferred). USE HIGH QUALITY AUDIO FILES for nightcore songs!!!
suprakill

Post by suprakill » July 8th, 2010, 1:25 pm

hello all,i'm new on the forum^^ and i started posting nighcore song on youtube and i want to know how to add more effect to the voice,do we need to use a software like virtual dj?
jordesu
Absolute Wasteman
Absolute Wasteman

Post by jordesu » July 8th, 2010, 3:35 pm

You could nightcore a song on 'Virtual DJ', but it's not practical.
Virtual DJ is more for making mixes and stuff.

If you wanna do some basics with a song
Then it's Audacity or Wavepad that you should use.

If you wanna go big
and start making/remixing songs.
Then whack on Fruity Loops xD
Grizz

Post by Grizz » September 19th, 2010, 1:21 pm

I guess you should mention that you can also use the FREE version of Wavepad to nightcore songs
Frestylezz

Post by Frestylezz » March 27th, 2011, 5:18 pm

I actually use Virtual DJ to "nightcore" songs, just adjusting pitch n speed untill it sounds perfect. Idon't record them tho...
also, the newest gens of Nintendo handhelds can nightcore as well :p fun to play around with pitch and speed in a very simple UI
GoneInsane972

Post by GoneInsane972 » March 27th, 2011, 6:14 pm

which handheld is that
the weak will be weak and the strog will be strong but those who put their faith in the God will always transpire
Leonard_Elektonix

Post by Leonard_Elektonix » March 28th, 2011, 9:27 am

Any programm that can speed up audio would be enough for nightcoring music, but some have more options which can be usefull.
Visit my Site:http://www.elektonix.webs.com
For More Music Subscribe to my Channel:http://www.youtube.com/llindenau

~Elektonix - Handsup - Nightcore~
Kirby
The Scapegoat

Re: How to Nightcore a song! (NIGHTCORE TUTORIAL)

Post by Kirby » April 22nd, 2011, 1:41 pm

Thread has gone under a major revision and cleanup as part of the slowly-but-progressing 'NU.net Improvement Project' (tentative name).

It's one of the main sources of site traffic considering tons of people Google things such as 'how to nightcore' or 'nightcore tutorial' .. that number is way higher than you might think.
RobLucci

Post by RobLucci » May 5th, 2011, 11:07 am

i followed this guide and i use the wavepad sound editor
"everyone should live their life the guinea pig way!"- Bing the guinea pig
jordesu
Absolute Wasteman
Absolute Wasteman

Post by jordesu » May 5th, 2011, 1:43 pm

This post is almost a year old lololololol.
I might make a video tutorial if I can be bothered x3
Kirby
The Scapegoat

Post by Kirby » May 5th, 2011, 6:54 pm

Nah, don't be bothered.
jordesu
Absolute Wasteman
Absolute Wasteman

Post by jordesu » May 8th, 2011, 3:33 pm

I'm not, I would have made it by now if I was ♥
Sleepwalker000

Post by Sleepwalker000 » June 6th, 2011, 11:42 am

THAT'S NOT NIGHTCORE! That's LAZY Nightcore! Nightcore should be a real remix, not just sped up! This is how you make REAL Nightcore. (Note: I haven't actually done this because I have no musical talent whatsoever, but I'm working on it :3)

1. Download and install Audacity
2. Isolate the vocals with this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p5QC-4jGWA tutorial
3. Speed up and raise pitch with previous method
4. Download and install Linux MultiMedia Studio (LMMS, and it's also for Windows, not sure about Mac)
5.Take some tutorials and spin up some funky beats (yo)
6. Throw it all together!

Note: LMMS is like a free version of FL Studio :)

I hope this works for you! You are going to have to find out how to use it yourself though.
Kirby
The Scapegoat

Post by Kirby » June 6th, 2011, 7:55 pm

Sleepwalker000, your creativity is appreciated, but the tutorial provided by the OP describes the methods used by the original Nightcore group themselves and they are certainly more qualified to define 'Nightcore' than you are, being the creators.

It is perfectly fine to possess styles based off of the traditional method that are not as "lazy" but please do not categorize said styles as Nightcore. There is already enough outlying factors to make Nightcore confusing enough as is and there is no need for more of it. Many people have bastardized Nightcore under several roman numerals, uploader names, and additional edits when all Nightcore was originally/always meant to be is a simple raise in speed and pitch.

That's all there is to it. Simple things make all the difference.
Sleepwalker000

Post by Sleepwalker000 » June 8th, 2011, 12:03 pm

Awwww... I'm sorry :'(. I thought the original Nightcore songs were real remixes. And I didn't really mean "lazy," I was just goofing around. You people take Nightcore very seriously. But didn't the original creator make some originals, such as "Dum Da Di Do" (I can't put question marks because of my stupid Canadian Multilingual Standard Keyboard, and I'm too lazy too change it). Although I could be mistaken, but I couldn't find any other songs with the same name. And in my defense, I don't think speeding up a song really counts as a remix. But that's just my opinion.

Again, I'm sorry. Please don't hate me.
Kirby
The Scapegoat

Post by Kirby » June 8th, 2011, 2:50 pm

None of us in this thread have claimed Nightcore to be a "remix". I don't know if there is any literal definition of "remix" out there - if there isn't, it's up to the person to decide whether or not Nightcore qualifies as a "remix" to them.

I wouldn't say I take Nightcore "seriously" but I just don't find it fair to hold "real remixes" or "enhanced Nightcore" to the same standards as the people who make Nightcore songs using the age-old methods.

The original Nightcore group never composed any of their songs from scratch. They took unknown songs, raised their speed and pitch and released them. These tracks gained more popularity than the original tracks they were based off of. The song you are mentioning is "Dam Dadi Doo" and the original is by Fantasy Project, not Nightcore.

No one hates you. ;)
RaveComing
ヂュード アイム イーティング チッキン

Post by RaveComing » June 9th, 2011, 10:47 pm

A remix is the atlering of an original work, no matter how big or small the impact the change(s) will have on said work. For exemple, you could remix a song up to the point you can't even reconize it and call it as much of a remix as the song to which you cut 0.1 sec of play time. Very popular are the Time-Expand remix (commonly called extended mix), where the original song will stay untouched up until the outro (which will be significantly extended)

Nightcoreing is the act of raising the speed of a song (idem raising BOTH tempo and pitch). As such it is a (rather simple) remixing method.

However, purists (like me) will tend to draw a line between REMIXING and EDITING. Editing is the act of either changing numerical values of a track (120bpm to 150, raise by an octave, add reverb, etc.) or adding particular musical lines to a track (Vocal up, Bass up, Synth up). Editing is also the act of cutting (and sometimes pasting) parts of the song. A classic example would be a Radio Edit, where the intro of a song will be restricted to the vital minimum (if they even keep an intro)

I hope this answered your questions regarding Remixing
Ewarnen

Post by Ewarnen » July 19th, 2011, 7:49 am

unholy ftw wrote:yay this is still here.

anyways people, also make sure that your song does not approach a chipmunk-ish pitch (that is not nightcore, thats alvin and the chipmunks). and secondly, using certain effects as well as bass boost can distort your songs, make sure to maintain sound quality as high as possible (128kbps+ and 320kbps preferred). USE HIGH QUALITY AUDIO FILES for nightcore songs!!!
Hey, I was wondering how I can put on more bass?
johnnytaboo

Post by johnnytaboo » September 8th, 2011, 10:38 am

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to put this out there. I was playing around with one of the recommended programs trying to make my own nightcores, and I discovered that it's not as easy as people think. There is definitely an art to this process. For anyone (like me) who may be reading through the web about nightcore, know that there is surely more to this genre than simply raising the pitch and tempo.
I tried a couple different songs and all of them seemed to come out waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too fast, or hilariously chipmunk-y. I'm still going to experiment, but now I know it's not something you can sit down and do in 5 minutes.
In summary, much respect to those of you who produce quality nightcores. For now, I shall continue to listen and refrain from contributing.
Kirby
The Scapegoat

Post by Kirby » September 11th, 2011, 1:13 am

The actual process of Nightcoring a song is in itself very easy, and if you're not speaking in a figurative sense, it is nothing more than raising the pitch and tempo. Finding the correct values for pitch and tempo isn't hard either, it's a very limited range.
However, none of us are saying that Nightcore isn't an art because it is easy. May I quote from my thread:
C: Nightcore sucks! It's made using an extremely cheap method and demonstrates NO talent. Anyone can do it!

A: The reason why songs are remade in the Nightcore style is because people believe that they sound better that way. It's purely for listening pleasure, and in my opinion, this is all that should matter. Furthermore, just because everyone can do it doesn't mean that everyone can do it well. Certain songs sound good in the Nightcore style, while others don't. This is why some Nightcore uploaders are more popular than others.

Those who insist that Nightcore is "talentless" or "easy" should try creating/popularizing their own Nightcore channel. Utilizing this logic, each Nightcore uploader should be receiving the same attention/acclaim for what they do. Clearly, this isn't the case. If you provide songs that have not been improved by a Nightcore edit, you will not get far.

If you like a song, why would you care about the methods used to produce it? If it makes the song sound better, why does it matter if it's easy to do? You may think that Nightcore makes all songs sound worse, but that is a mere opinion; considering the popularity several Nightcore videos have gotten compared to their originals, many people do not feel the same way.

The simplicity of Nightcore edits is where the beauty of Nightcore comes from; anyone with good taste can create unique songs that appeal to a wide audience with little producing knowledge.
Gls

Post by Gls » October 4th, 2011, 9:02 pm

Kirby wrote:The actual process of Nightcoring a song is in itself very easy, and if you're not speaking in a figurative sense, it is nothing more than raising the pitch and tempo. Finding the correct values for pitch and tempo isn't hard either, it's a very limited range.
However, none of us are saying that Nightcore isn't an art because it is easy. May I quote from my thread:
Yes it's easy. However, finding a good song to nightcore is a bit hard for me. Yeah, I agreed with what Maikel said.
Maikel631 wrote:First, find a song that would sound good in Nightcore style. This is actually the hardest part of this tutorial. Many people tried but failed, when making Nightcore songs. So.. Be prepared to spend a long time searching for Nightcoreable songs. Look for slow, electronic-based songs with female vocals! These are usually the best choices.
ozias22882

Post by ozias22882 » November 10th, 2011, 12:37 pm

Hi i'm new.
Thanks Maikel631 for tutorial
StereoT

Post by StereoT » November 18th, 2011, 12:01 am

Hey this is the first time this has happened when i used wave pad with a song but when i edit it then save it and re open it the song sounds dampened but i didnt dampen it anyone know what went wrong?
appler
Respected Donator
Respected Donator

Post by appler » November 18th, 2011, 12:40 am

StereoT wrote:Hey this is the first time this has happened when i used wave pad with a song but when i edit it then save it and re open it the song sounds dampened but i didnt dampen it anyone know what went wrong?

What did you save as(mp3, flac) as it may be a compressing error. If you send me the song ill see if i can fix it for you if you like.
Please read the Rules! and Regulations!