DCX Nightcore - The Secret Archives Vol. 3

For Nightcore discussion in general.
joelkalsi

DCX Nightcore - The Secret Archives Vol. 3

Post by joelkalsi » March 11th, 2016, 3:53 am

We got our 3rd instalment of "The Secret Archives"! As before, it's a broad selection of both new and older songs from the DCX archives :)

https://open.spotify.com/album/2VyR1sM2L5f2lQ5Jzg2Lzn

What do you like of the first two tracks in original form?
https://open.spotify.com/album/4nzroyGWBGb7yDB7xQqb1V
https://open.spotify.com/album/4x32ppYcQ2WuhALpUU5dhN

The idea of speeding tropical house tracks to nightcore is a bit of a question mark, but seemed to work okay for that second track.
emilemil1

Re: DCX Nightcore - The Secret Archives Vol. 3

Post by emilemil1 » March 11th, 2016, 4:43 am

Will definitely take a listen later today, and leave more words in this thread :)

Edit: It's not "later today", but anyway:

First track is good, in particular it has a very interesting sound, captured the theme well, and I'm a total sucker for the part at 1:58 (in the original). I know that it's not particularly fast in BPM, but I still think that the Nightcore version could be a tiny bit slower. Guessing it's the rapid drum style that's making it sound fast.

Second one I wouldn't classify as Nightcore (too relaxed style), but it's a nice one nevertheless, very enjoyable to listen to even though it's not what I'd typically have in my ears. It does a good job of highlighting the vocals. The faster version is better imo, the original is a bit too slow for my tastes.

I had no clue what the third one was going to be from the first few seconds, but... awesome track, really seriously awesome! Love the contrast between the rough verse and bright chorus, and the old school styled refrain too. It ends a little abruptly, but that's the only negative I can find. New entry among my favorite tracks of yours!

The fourth one is also very high contrast. The verse reminds me a lot of Lady Gaga's style ("Telephone" for example), strong-attitude and pop-ish, while the chorus is brighter and smooth(er). I'm not a huge fan of the super-buzzing bass, it's a bit too prominent and kinda ruining what I otherwise seems like a nice song. Side effect from the speedup maybe to some degree?

Fifth one. Your voice and accent (guessing it's you) really don't fit well here :P Anyway, it's a pretty meh one regardless. Everything sounds pretty good, but nothing stands out, it feels flat, uninteresting and got repetitive quickly.

Sixth one is not my style, but I like the vocals and verse parts :) Mix doesn't sound as clear as the rest.

Wouldn't classify the seventh as Nightcore, and totally not my style either, that is all.

Last one is pretty nice, and it has a fitting name. It's a bit flat, so I don't have much to say about it :P
joelkalsi

Post by joelkalsi » March 26th, 2016, 6:50 am

Thanks for the review in depth! Awesome stuff :)

I'm experimenting a bit with tracks; sometimes something that I've deemed not so interesting for the nightcore scene gets more plays than expected, so there are older tracks at the end (the fifth one is from 1998(!) and the accent was something I was playing around with for the track to make it stand out a bit and sound something else than made by a Finnish guy, so yes it is a bit weird :) ). The last one is from 2003 and it was the first track I made 100% with plugins (back in the day everyone still used hardware synths if they were serious about things, and plugins were hella stressing on 300mhz computers).

Bet you'll be positively surprised of new material I've just finished lately, as there's a new more catchier and energetic version of that track #3 "Don't U Get Me Like This" and a personal favourite for long time :) Need to record and finish more material before releasing it all, so it will take a while though. Looking in to finishing some other tracks before recording the latest songs, hopefully getting to release something in between. But this was indeed some cool feedback, thanks! :)
emilemil1

Post by emilemil1 » March 27th, 2016, 9:15 am

You never quite know what you're getting from a DCX release :P Keep on experimenting!