How to make nightcore songs without any strange effects?

For Nightcore discussion in general.
CorruptedNuk3r

How to make nightcore songs without any strange effects?

Post by CorruptedNuk3r » March 12th, 2015, 5:33 am

In audacity and wavepad, when i change the pitch/tempo it either makes it skip a bit, or has a weird effect i don't know how to describe. So far all i've been doing is changing the pitch and tempo, so is there something else i should be doing? i can't seem to find any else who has had this problem.

UPDATE: In audacity, if i use the change pitch it will do the skipping, and if i do sliding timescale/pitch shift it does the weird effect. in wavepad it only does the weird effect
emilemil1

Re: How to make nightcore songs without any strange effects?

Post by emilemil1 » March 12th, 2015, 12:36 pm

Always change tempo/pitch equally, otherwise it will sound bad like that. In Audacity it's done with "change speed" and in WavePad with "speed and pitch change".

In more advanced software like FL Studio it's sometimes possible to have very slight differences between tempo and pitch (~5%) without side effects, because they support better pitching/time-stretching methods. Generally though you always have to keep them equal.

I at least think this is your problem. It's hard to tell without an audio sample :P
Last edited by emilemil1 on March 12th, 2015, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LonelyLittleAngel
Respected Donator
Respected Donator

Post by LonelyLittleAngel » March 12th, 2015, 1:35 pm

just do virtual dj, speed it up too 24% and it changes both the speeed and the pitch
sorry quotes from me are illegal in other people's signatures sry
Jumpcore thats what the bass is for.
CorruptedNuk3r

Post by CorruptedNuk3r » March 13th, 2015, 4:04 am

emilemil1 wrote:Always change tempo/pitch equally, otherwise it will sound bad like that. In Audacity it's done with "change speed" and in WavePad with "speed and pitch change".

In more advanced software like FL Studio it's sometimes possible to have very slight differences between tempo and pitch (~5%) without side effects, because they support better pitching/time-stretching methods. Generally though you always have to keep them equal.

I at least think this is your problem. It's hard to tell without an audio sample :P
alright, ill try FL studio. i just think that in a lot of songs they sound better with slightly different pitches/tempos. in audacity it still has the effect with change speed, so i guess my only real choice is to try a different program :P
emilemil1

Post by emilemil1 » March 13th, 2015, 1:18 pm

If there are side-effects with change speed, then the problem must be something else. Can you upload a sample so we can take a listen? Maybe I can reproduce it and find the issue :)

-

The thing with pitching is that it's very easy to do within a limited frequency range, such as to an isolated vocal track or a constant "beeping" sound, but very hard to do with finished songs that have audio samples going all over the place. This is because sounds of different frequencies and intervals has to be pitched in different ways to preserve their characteristics, there's not any universal method that works for all sorts of audio.

When we try to apply a single method to pitch up an entire music track, it almost always gives good results for some sounds in the track and much worse results for other sounds. In some cases you'll find that special track where everything pitches perfectly, but usually, even in the best professional software, there will still be some sounds that just won't sound good.

Common instruments that pitch poorly are kicks, fat electric guitars and wide compressed synths. If your track has two or more of these components, then chances are that you simply can't get a good pitch-up.