So what caused the rise of fake nightcores?

For Nightcore discussion in general.
JDMxARROW

So what caused the rise of fake nightcores?

Post by JDMxARROW » July 22nd, 2013, 1:09 am

I'm asking because these days, it's getting hard to find real nightcore on Youtube and it does get pretty annoying. Whenever I search "nightcore" in the Youtube search results, every page is filled with uploads that probably won't be allowed here. After seeing so much fake nightcore all over Youtube, I can't help but ask myself "What happened?".

It wasn't this bad when I was browsing for nightcore songs back in 2006-2009. Back then, I managed to find real nightcore quite easily. Genres like pop and rap existed back then, yet I don't recall encountering videos or uploaders that sped up these songs and mislabeled them as nightcore.

So why are there so many fake nightcores on Youtube these days? What changed after 2009? Was it arrogance, where people thought they could make nightcore on their own? Or was it curiosity, where people started to experiment with other genres and the whole fake nightcore thing spread like the plague?

Like I said, the main reason why I'm asking all this is that it does get annoying when I can't find much true nightcore on Youtube anymore. I feel like the nightcore search results these days is one giant mess.
Raver

Re: So what caused the rise of fake nightcores?

Post by Raver » July 22nd, 2013, 2:16 am

As I said in my second post here (August 15th, 2011, 9:08 am):
Raver wrote:People always end up ruining cool stuff. That's why I honestly expect nightcore not to be very known, at least not for now
It's pretty sad, but that's the truth, Nightcore is getting more and more popular every day, and since it's quite easy to make and upload some, the number of (bad) uploads are also growing up.
We feel the rhythm like it is our heartbeat
JDMxARROW

Post by JDMxARROW » July 22nd, 2013, 2:46 am

Raver wrote:As I said in my second post here (August 15th, 2011, 9:08 am):
Raver wrote:People always end up ruining cool stuff. That's why I honestly expect nightcore not to be very known, at least not for now
It's pretty sad, but that's the truth, Nightcore is getting more and more popular every day, and since it's quite easy to make and upload some, the number of (bad) uploads are also growing up.
Your quote came from a thread on a Miku car ad, didn't it? I think I found the ad you guys were talking about. It's the one for the Toyota Corolla, isn't it?

Basically, people were complaining that the car commercial ruins Miku's image (Which I for the most part agree with. I thought the ad was pretty cheesy too.). So, a similar thing happened to nightcore? People on Youtube tried to make nightcore more mainstream and get it to spread by doing rock and pop songs. The number of fake nightcores soon got out of hand, and the uploaders ultimately ruined nightcore's "image"?
Raver

Post by Raver » July 22nd, 2013, 3:13 am

JDMxARROW wrote:
Raver wrote:As I said in my second post here (August 15th, 2011, 9:08 am):
Your quote came from a thread on a Miku car ad, didn't it? I think I found the ad you guys were talking about. It's the one for the Toyota Corolla, isn't it?

Basically, people were complaining that the car commercial ruins Miku's image (Which I for the most part agree with. I thought the ad was pretty cheesy too.). So, a similar thing happened to nightcore? People on Youtube tried to make nightcore more mainstream and get it to spread by doing rock and pop songs. The number of fake nightcores soon got out of hand, and the uploaders ultimately ruined nightcore's "image"?

Actually it's a long story why I posted that. The one who created this account was my brother, also he was the one who posted the very first stuff, then, even though I strongly agree with this, it wasn't "me" who wrote, so I don't really know what's the post about, I just remembered about this and realized it could fit perfectly in my reply.

I think it's different from all this Vocaloid thing. The fans didn't made/developed Miku like the Nightcore fans did with the music, it's more like if the people start to use the Vocaloid software (or whatever it is) to make pathetic songs that aren't meant to be produced with it (rap, metal, etc). That would ruin the whole initial idea of the developers, so it's not exactly "the more people the worse", but it's almost inevitable that it will happen to be a lot of retarded people in this bunch of fans.
Kestrel0907

Post by Kestrel0907 » July 22nd, 2013, 6:14 am

For more info, check out this link:
http://nightcoreuniverse.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1316
JDMxARROW

Post by JDMxARROW » July 22nd, 2013, 6:49 am

Kestrel0907 wrote:For more info, check out this link:
http://nightcoreuniverse.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1316
Thanks for the link! There were a lot of very informative posts.

So what I got from the link was that basically, as time went by, people thought they could produce nightcore without Maikel's help. They only read the part of the tutorial where it says to raise the speed, and thought "oh this is easy, I can nightcore in my sleep." However, they kept neglecting to read Nightcore's Myspace page, forgetting that only techno songs can be used. So they assumed they could nightcore whatever they want. And as bad uploads appeared on Youtube, more and more people (who probably have no idea who the original guys are, or know nothing about the history of nightcore) were influenced by these fake uploaders and made their own videos. As a result, that's how fake nightcore rose and spread like wildfire.
Kestrel0907

Post by Kestrel0907 » July 22nd, 2013, 9:05 am

Yup, that's correct.
Kernaghan

Post by Kernaghan » July 22nd, 2013, 5:57 pm

It's very frustrating for someone like me, who has only just got interested in Nightcore. I can't simply search for Nightcore and find it, I have to go through pages of '1 hour mixes' and fake Nightcore to find that one Nightcore song which is actually Nightcore.
Kestrel0907

Post by Kestrel0907 » July 22nd, 2013, 8:07 pm

I know right, i just hope more people gets notice of what is that and this.
Sadly more people are just here to troll and accuse us of dictatorship.
(this isn't the only place with these controversies though, youtube is also filled with this as i've heard)
JDMxARROW

Post by JDMxARROW » July 23rd, 2013, 7:10 pm

Kestrel0907 wrote:I know right, i just hope more people gets notice of what is that and this.
Sadly more people are just here to troll and accuse us of dictatorship.
(this isn't the only place with these controversies though, youtube is also filled with this as i've heard)
Youtube isn't the only place to upload nightcore. Other sites such as Soundcloud exist. Do you happen to know the situation with these sites?
Kestrel0907

Post by Kestrel0907 » July 23rd, 2013, 7:21 pm

I guess it's nothing more than fans of the original nightcore voicing their opinions, not as if someone made them charge in with claims from another person.
If someone had sticken to Nightcore(the group), of course they would come with complaints of users mocking their style of music(in this case edit).
Beeboy

Post by Beeboy » July 28th, 2013, 2:10 am

Sorry if this is slightly off topic, but I'm kinda feeling uncomfortable trying to make nightcore myself. I mean, these days, it's just too easy to mess up and find yourself making fake nightcore. The definition of nightcore on more popular sites (such as Urban Dictionary, Youtube, and Wikipedia) is wrong and misleading since they seem to say that any song can be nightcored. Plus, a lot of the songs you hear on the radio are electronic-sounding which can be confusing to those not good with music genres. Anyone got a few tips on how to avoid falling into the trap of making fake nightcore?
HKO2006

Post by HKO2006 » February 8th, 2014, 2:39 pm

Sweeeeeet, I was looking for this for the meme. Still need some help in wording, forum history and some review though.
Last edited by HKO2006 on February 25th, 2014, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to Nightcore Universe! Enjoy your stay as much as you enjoy the original Nightcore songs!
Useful threads/links
What is Nightcore 101
Nightcore Channel Database
Nightcore Know Your Meme
How to make Nightcore (NIGHTCORE TUTORIAL) UPDATED
Speeding up seems to be a little magic making things a little bit more appealing.

Fernandez

Post by Fernandez » February 24th, 2014, 5:15 pm

I felt the need to reply here because the recent posts have brought up something I've been wanting to mention, but could never find the right wording for.

On another thread, someone said that he sees nightcore as just an Internet trend/meme. This brought up a theory that I've been trying to formulate.

YouTube is prone to memes. When something out of the ordinary becomes insanely popular, people view it as a meme. When the Alvin and the Chipmunks movies first came out, chipmunking songs became insanely popular. To those of you unfamiliar with chipmunking, it's where you increase the pitch of a song so high so that it sounds like Alvin is singing it.

My theory is that perhaps nightcore developed in a similar manner and that so much fake nightcore exists because Youtubers see it as just a meme, and not a genre.

Well, sorry if my reply is hard to understand. I was typing all this with my phone, which can be a pain in the ass for lengthy replies.

Also, this is merely my attempt at trying to explain the fake nightcore phenomenon on YouTube. This post isn't intended to troll, start flame wars, or anything like that.
Is sad about the Raiders moving to Las Vegas :(
Raver

Post by Raver » February 24th, 2014, 7:14 pm

Fernandez wrote:I felt the need to reply here because the recent posts have brought up something I've been wanting to mention, but could never find the right wording for.

On another thread, someone said that he sees nightcore as just an Internet trend/meme. This brought up a theory that I've been trying to formulate.

YouTube is prone to memes. When something out of the ordinary becomes insanely popular, people view it as a meme. When the Alvin and the Chipmunks movies first came out, chipmunking songs became insanely popular. To those of you unfamiliar with chipmunking, it's where you increase the pitch of a song so high so that it sounds like Alvin is singing it.

My theory is that perhaps nightcore developed in a similar manner and that so much fake nightcore exists because Youtubers see it as just a meme, and not a genre.

Well, sorry if my reply is hard to understand. I was typing all this with my phone, which can be a pain in the ass for lengthy replies.

Also, this is merely my attempt at trying to explain the fake nightcore phenomenon on YouTube. This post isn't intended to troll, start flame wars, or anything like that.
Maybe, that's why this forum and these rules exist.
Namahage

Post by Namahage » March 6th, 2014, 12:30 am

After listening to the radio today, I have to say that people these days seem to mislabel music in general, and nightcore is not the only victim of this mislabeling.

Non-internet example: There's one radio station in my area that brands itself as an alternative rock station. Sometimes, they play songs such as Team by Lorde and Somebody That I Used To Know by Gotye. Both of those songs sound nothing like rock songs.
The media acting as the eyes of the society ought to practice its role with the highest journalistic ethics possible; feeding the society with information of unquestionable source to perpetuate the credibility and the moral obligation bestowed to it.
Watch4FallingRock

Post by Watch4FallingRock » June 1st, 2014, 4:15 pm

Raver wrote:
Fernandez wrote:I felt the need to reply here because the recent posts have brought up something I've been wanting to mention, but could never find the right wording for.

Maybe, that's why this forum and these rules exist.
So the purpose of the forum is to clarify all the nightcore misconceptions circulating around the internet, and educate people on the true facts about nightcore?
rsslayersr

Post by rsslayersr » June 1st, 2014, 4:20 pm

Probably not, this clarifying business just comes with the knowledge of knowing what nightcore is and what isn't. I believe this is just a place for people to gather and share ideas about a subject like nightcore, just as the purpose of the old Fora in the Roman age.
Enforcing the cute little sister of Happy Hardcore
Watch4FallingRock

Post by Watch4FallingRock » June 1st, 2014, 4:33 pm

rsslayersr wrote:Probably not, this clarifying business just comes with the knowledge of knowing what nightcore is and what isn't. I believe this is just a place for people to gather and share ideas about a subject like nightcore, just as the purpose of the old Fora in the Roman age.
Ah, so it's for people to gather and talk about nightcore without interference from the current nightcore scene?

And what old fora are you talking about? Are you referring to the old nightcore forums, or the actual Roman forum?
GenTheMiner

Post by GenTheMiner » June 1st, 2014, 4:38 pm

We need more artists who make nightcore!
rsslayersr

Post by rsslayersr » June 1st, 2014, 4:40 pm

To be honest, I think there are plenty. The ratio between real uploaders and people who uploade fake nightcore is just not in our favor.
GenTheMiner

Post by GenTheMiner » June 1st, 2014, 4:45 pm

Then should one keep trying to explain to fake uploaders that they're wrong?
Fernandez

Post by Fernandez » June 1st, 2014, 4:48 pm

Watch4FallingRock wrote: And what old fora are you talking about? Are you referring to the old nightcore forums, or the actual Roman forum?
He's most likely talking about the actual Roman Forum. The Roman Forum was a public area where Romans could discuss things and events.
Wikipedia wrote:It was for centuries the center of Roman public life.
And that's where the internet term "forum" originates from. It refers to a public place on the Internet where people can discuss a particular subject, just like the Romans did. Similarly, you could say that NU is "the center of Nightcore fans public life."

As for your other question, this pretty much sums it up:
Raver wrote:they just wanted a place where they would feel fine to talk and have a good time without people messing up with their shit, you know?
As you might know already, the nightcore scene changed over time. Many old-time nightcore fans didn't like what the new generations of nightcore fans were producing, believing that it wasn't what nightcore was supposed to sound like. Hence, nightcore policies for NU were drafted in 2012 to help preserve the art of true nightcore that existed back in 2008-2009.
rsslayersr wrote:To be honest, I think there are plenty. The ratio between real uploaders and people who uploade fake nightcore is just not in our favor.
I agree with you. The problem is that Youtube places videos with the most views at the top of the search results. Because fake nightcore uploads are more popular on Youtube, they are always at the top of the results, hogging all of the spotlight. If Youtube were to give each and every uploader an equal amount of fame, it would be more clear to see that the ratio between real and fake uploaders is smaller than you think.
Last edited by Fernandez on June 1st, 2014, 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rsslayersr

Post by rsslayersr » June 1st, 2014, 4:51 pm

GenTheMiner wrote:Then should one keep trying to explain to fake uploaders that they're wrong?
Chances are slim they are going to listen. Last time I tried to explain to a somewhat popular channel holder, he told me 'it's nightcore, otherwise people wouldn't be a fan of me'

It's quite bad out there.
Copy_Cat_Master

Post by Copy_Cat_Master » June 2nd, 2014, 4:54 am

rsslayersr wrote:
GenTheMiner wrote:Then should one keep trying to explain to fake uploaders that they're wrong?
Chances are slim they are going to listen. Last time I tried to explain to a somewhat popular channel holder, he told me 'it's nightcore, otherwise people wouldn't be a fan of me'

Yeah, same here but most of the time I just post a link to the "What is Nightcore?" topic for them.

As example, "What is Nightcore? > http://www.nightcoreuniverse.net/viewto ... f=17&t=930" and move on with other thing as there is no point on arguing with them in the comment section.
(Click the picture)
Official Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CopyCatMaster01
Copy Cat Master's Twitter: https://twitter.com/CopyCatMaster
Fernandez

Post by Fernandez » June 2nd, 2014, 2:42 pm

Copy_Cat_Master wrote:
rsslayersr wrote:

Yeah, same here but most of the time I just post a link to the "What is Nightcore?" topic for them.

As example, "What is Nightcore? > http://www.nightcoreuniverse.net/viewto ... f=17&t=930" and move on with other thing as there is no point on arguing with them in the comment section.
Sorry if this post sounds like a disrespect, but a lot of the fake nightcore uploaders can be selfish (no other way I could put it). It seems like they only care about gaining views and subscribers. They only think about themselves, rather than the integrity of the nightcore community, the original Nightcore group, etc.

Many Youtubers seem to operate under the motto "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." If the fake nightcore is winning the uploaders fans and subscribers, then unfortunately, they're going to just keep doing it.
Copy_Cat_Master

Post by Copy_Cat_Master » June 3rd, 2014, 1:57 am

@Fernandez - Yep, those people only do for views & subscribers. We cannot do much because we cannot stop what people want to do, like or dislike but at least I want those people to know which is the correct Nightcore and which is the fake Nightcore. Hence, I link them to the "What is Nightcore?" topic if I see someone misunderstood about Nightcore.
(Click the picture)
Official Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CopyCatMaster01
Copy Cat Master's Twitter: https://twitter.com/CopyCatMaster
HFUNightcore

Post by HFUNightcore » June 3rd, 2014, 7:59 am

Well I also hate the fake nightcores but there are some songs which sound good imo but these are only exceptions. I honestly liked the nightcores years before from 2009,2010 or 2006. Now there are so many nightcore channels and the old nightcores disappeared. But they are named differently now such as Nightcore III and Nightcore II. I also found a good Nightcore channel who uploads those nightcores: https://www.youtube.com/user/bafondzi/videos

Sry if I did something wrong im new to this forum :P
HKO2006

Post by HKO2006 » June 3rd, 2014, 11:27 am

HFU Nightcore wrote:Well I also hate the fake nightcores but there are some songs which sound good imo but these are only exceptions. I honestly liked the nightcores years before from 2009,2010 or 2006. Now there are so many nightcore channels and the old nightcores disappeared. But they are named differently now such as Nightcore III and Nightcore II. I also found a good Nightcore channel who uploads those nightcores: https://www.youtube.com/user/bafondzi/videos

I like bafondzi's uploads and reuploads from Nightcore II too, too bad the remix names of most songs are missing so I can't rake the reuploads in HD.
check this out fore more nightcore channels, hope one day your channel will be on it too.
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/nightcore#active
Welcome to Nightcore Universe! Enjoy your stay as much as you enjoy the original Nightcore songs!
Useful threads/links
What is Nightcore 101
Nightcore Channel Database
Nightcore Know Your Meme
How to make Nightcore (NIGHTCORE TUTORIAL) UPDATED
Speeding up seems to be a little magic making things a little bit more appealing.

HFUNightcore

Post by HFUNightcore » June 3rd, 2014, 11:54 am

hko2006 wrote:
HFU Nightcore wrote:Well I also hate the fake nightcores but there are some songs which sound good imo but these are only exceptions. I honestly liked the nightcores years before from 2009,2010 or 2006. Now there are so many nightcore channels and the old nightcores disappeared. But they are named differently now such as Nightcore III and Nightcore II. I also found a good Nightcore channel who uploads those nightcores: https://www.youtube.com/user/bafondzi/videos

I like bafondzi's uploads and reuploads from Nightcore II too, too bad the remix names of most songs are missing so I can't rake the reuploads in HD.
check this out fore more nightcore channels, hope one day your channel will be on it too.
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/nightcore#active

Thanks for showing me those awesome nightcore channels I knew many of them but there were some that I didnt know . Well I already took a look at some of them they are rly good ^^ I wonder why I didnt know them before although Im nightcore addicted since almost 2 years xD And I also wonder why I didnt find this nightcore forum earlier xD