How to Nightcore a song! (NIGHTCORE TUTORIAL)

For Nightcore discussion in general.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Re: How to Nightcore a song! (NIGHTCORE TUTORIAL)

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » December 3rd, 2011, 10:39 am

RaveComing wrote: The thing is, I do lossless edits, but I think only 2-3 persons outside of you and me on this forum would understand your text anyway for the simple fact that they transcode mp3 either 3 or 4 times before it gets a play on Youtube.
Then would it be too much to mention in the guide that you save to a lossless format, and list several popular common formats as well? And a quick note that "the higher quality the source format is, the better" couldn't hurt, could it?

Or do I just still have too much faith in humanity?

Anyway, the "Set Rate" thing does actually work on lossy sources as well, but the lossless factor is completely negated obviously. The only benefits would be avoiding Audacity's resampler, that is you could still just upload the resulting audio directly to YouTube.

EDIT: I just stress-tested YouTube's resampler with a 52189Hz Nightcore clip and it turns out that it's a bit worse than Foobar2000's PPHS @ ultra mode. However, seeing how I intentionally chose a mathematically insane sample rate, it's likely that typical multiple-of-2000 ones would be fine.
RaveComing
ヂュード アイム イーティング チッキン

Post by RaveComing » December 4th, 2011, 12:09 am

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:
RaveComing wrote: Or do I just still have too much faith in humanity?
This, and I'm 100% cereal. Only a few of us have access to an unlimited amount of lossless music for free. The majority of the community would not buy lossless tracks and even if they did, they would not here the difference and know how to manipulate them (true story).

People who really want to invest time into making lossless nightcore can PM me and I will kindly answer them and answer their every question; but these persons need to either have access to the track they want in lossless (FLAC, WAV, PCM, ALAC, APE and TTA are the most used/popular formats) or be willing to buy their music.

So ya, the community here is into lossy transcodes and no matter how hard you'll try you will not change that fact, for said community mainly hails from Youtube. And boy, Youtube is fucking audio quality serious, right? Not.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » December 4th, 2011, 6:55 am

RaveComing wrote:And boy, Youtube is fucking audio quality serious, right? Not.
Somebody hasn't listened to YouTube's 720p & 1080p WebM formats. 192kbps vorbis says hi.

Yes it's still lossy, but that's arguably even higher quality than Amazon's 256kbps MP3 store.
RaveComing
ヂュード アイム イーティング チッキン

Post by RaveComing » December 4th, 2011, 9:45 am

Vorbis is worth shit if it's CBR; you need to use log to make it worthwhile. Well, in anycase a 192CBR Vorbis > 256 MP3 with Lame, but then Vorbis q5 does thet exact same job for less space. And youtube is also a transcode.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » December 5th, 2011, 8:29 am

Um... actually they AREN'T using CBR. You can see this by downloading a WebM file from YouTube, opening it in Foobar2000, and looking at the bitrate. 99% of the time it'll stay over 200kbps. AFAIK, you can't even MAKE CBR vorbis - hence why you only get the Q# option in something like Audacity. Also if you view the bitrate of an OGG made with Audacity with something like MediaInfo, it WILL report back a single value - like it'll say 192kbps for Q6.

Also, YouTube uses Q6. not Q5.

And even if it is a transcode, Q6 from lossless is really quite good. I know some professionally-made media-rich products that even use that quality (specifically the Fate/stay night visual novel).
Last edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 on December 5th, 2011, 8:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
RaveComing
ヂュード アイム イーティング チッキン

Post by RaveComing » December 5th, 2011, 8:34 am

I know Q6 hovers around 192kbps, I have Adobe Audition to analyze bitrates and all that kind of crap and foobar2k reads bitrate for you each 0.5 second or something. But remember that logarithms tell you at which value your bitrate will around around, so a Q6 can effectively (and will) reach over 192 during highly musical parts of a song, but a Q5 will reach around 192. I understand that my method of calculating might not have pelased you, but I'm the type of person to use heavy lowpass on VBR, so you know that my point makes sense.

And Vorbis does Log, ABR and VBR btw

F/SN is OP, no wonder they'd use Vorbis
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » December 5th, 2011, 8:36 am

Bloody nora, don't comment when I'm still editing my post. :P

Go back and read it again, and either make a new post or edit yours accordingly.
RaveComing
ヂュード アイム イーティング チッキン

Post by RaveComing » December 5th, 2011, 8:40 am

Edited
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » December 5th, 2011, 8:43 am

RaveComing wrote:F/SN is OP, no wonder they'd use Vorbis
I'm sorry, but acronyms aren't my thing... the only "OP" I know of is "opening video", which isn't the case here - OGG vorbis is used for all the music.
RaveComing
ヂュード アイム イーティング チッキン

Post by RaveComing » December 5th, 2011, 8:45 am

F/SN = Fate/Stay Night

And I meant Op as in Over Powered.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » December 5th, 2011, 8:46 am

I knew F/sn = Fate/stay night :P It was the over-powered thing.

...though I still don't even understand that. Over-powered? Am I missing some sort of lingo here?
RaveComing
ヂュード アイム イーティング チッキン

Post by RaveComing » December 5th, 2011, 8:47 am

I play League of Legends if this can help

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?s4bgbxtswg92s94

VBR is Log for Poweramp.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » December 5th, 2011, 8:53 am

So you CAN make CBR vorbis... interesting that everything I use doesn't seem allow me to do so - perhaps it's depreciated? (with good reason I may add)
RaveComing
ヂュード アイム イーティング チッキン

Post by RaveComing » December 5th, 2011, 9:02 am

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote: (with good reason I may add)
Agreed. VBR over CBR anytime.

But yeah, I although I can see the point of Youtube reducing file size (since Vorbis produces such small files) I still do not get why it would need to transcode everything except for Lossless (where files could jsut become to big for their server and be too long to load for many people.)

It really pains me when I see someone claiming is file is a mp3 320CBR on youtube; for I know it's not a real one (I did not know YT used Ogg, but I did know that they'd transcode every single track sent to them). Which brings me back to my original point. Youtube transcodes the shit out of everything with no discrimination to original format's container or bitrate; this community if Youtube based, built and mainly maintained. You won't ever be able to have a fair amount of people swtich from transcoding to Lossless (which YT would turn into an ok Q6). I think it's better to drop the matter and support the few people who would like to upload non-transcoded files on Youtube.

Btw, am I wrong if I tell that YT add marks to your video according to your original file tags? Because if yes, an important step towards making a Nightcore Video would be to strip all tags as to impede the speed at which labels will strike down smaller uploader's account (will not work for bigger accounts as they are grabbing all of the views and thus are always on top of YT search engine)
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » December 5th, 2011, 9:11 am

RaveComing wrote:It really pains me when I see someone claiming is file is a mp3 320CBR on youtube; for I know it's not a real one
Even I have commited this "crime", but that's because lossless was simply not available. You make do with what you can get, and dang it I TRIED to get lossless - it just didn't exist! But I do at least say what the uploaded SOURCE is, not that the result is actually that.
RaveComing wrote:Btw, am I wrong if I tell that YT add marks to your video according to your original file tags? Because if yes, an important step towards making a Nightcore Video would be to strip all tags as to impede the speed at which labels will strike down smaller uploader's account (will not work for bigger accounts as they are grabbing all of the views and thus are always on top of YT search engine)
I do not know simply because all my uploads lack metadata. This is usually because I export all my edits as plain WAV PCM before converting to FLAC, and WAV doesn't hold any metadata.
TechnoWolfie

Post by TechnoWolfie » February 9th, 2012, 8:28 pm

I have Wavepad sound Editor and i want to know how to do a bass boost
Kirby
The Scapegoat

Post by Kirby » February 9th, 2012, 8:51 pm

TechnoWolfie wrote:I have Wavepad sound Editor and i want to know how to do a bass boost
.. did you read the first post?
Us so da

Post by Us so da » February 11th, 2012, 11:38 am

i'm not sure whether you like this or not maikel, BUT YOU ARE my favorite all time favorite artist. your if i die young nightcore brought me to tears. :')
Bobjon

Post by Bobjon » February 24th, 2012, 2:12 pm

Loved the tut Maikel :D
mrfurret

Post by mrfurret » April 1st, 2012, 2:35 am

Where are you supposed to get your starter songs? (iTunes songs won't open in Audacity)
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all.

~Emily Dickinson
appler
Respected Donator
Respected Donator

Post by appler » April 1st, 2012, 2:39 am

mrfurret wrote:Where are you supposed to get your starter songs? (iTunes songs won't open in Audacity)
If you bought them on itunes, they are DRM protected meaning they need to be cracked.
But since you HAVE bought the songs you can download them without worry.
Please read the Rules! and Regulations!
NAMii96

Post by NAMii96 » April 1st, 2012, 6:57 am

I use Audacity for the nightcorisation, and WavePad for the quality :)
Yakkety

Post by Yakkety » April 1st, 2012, 7:42 am

I download my songs straight from Youtube, I have this handy-dandy Google Chrome extension which lets me click on a button and then instantly downloads a Youtube video as an MP3 file, and then I use Audacity for the Nghtcoring...
Click the picture for my Youtube Channel ;)
Kestrel0907

Post by Kestrel0907 » April 1st, 2012, 8:38 am

Or you can use this.
Just paste in the youtube video link. :p
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » April 1st, 2012, 10:20 am

Note that, you'll need the FFMPEG library files for Audacity to do the following.

You guys realize that you're definitely losing audio quality by converting an already lossy codec to MP3, right?

The highest-quality way to rip a song from YouTube is to download the 720p or larger WebM version, then use MKVtoolnix to put the audio stream (Vorbis) into an MKA. From there, you can open the file in Audacity.

If even that's too hard for you, just download the 720p or larger MP4 version, and open that directly in Audacity.

And remember to ALWAYS save ANY audio edits in at least a 24bit lossless format! (and if you're really picky, you could even upload to YouTube 24bit FLAC)
Yakkety

Post by Yakkety » May 31st, 2012, 3:13 am

Maikel631 wrote:How to Nightcore a song! (NIGHTCORE TUTORIAL)

Audacity Tutorial:
(recommended, for beginners)

First, find a song that would sound good in Nightcore style. This is actually the hardest part of this tutorial. Many people tried but failed, when making Nightcore songs. So.. Be prepared to spend a long time searching for Nightcoreable songs. Look for slow, electronic-based songs with female vocals! These are usually the best choices.

Now, we’ll start:

1: Get the free Audacity software from http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
2: Import the audio you want to make a Nightcore song from into Audacity
3: Press Effect --> Change Pitch. Increase the pitch between 20 to 30 percent.
4: Press Effect --> Change Tempo. Increase the tempo between 20 to 30 percent.
These numbers are mere guidelines; feel free to experiment until you find what sounds best. ** (see below)
5: Press File and export the song in the format you want it.

Enjoy your Nightcore song!
I'd like to point out here that I was experimenting some time ago with this method, and I think (and know) that it's much easier and better to just Press Effect --> Change Speed, changing speed increases the pitch AND Tempo simultaneously, it saves you some time, BUT the most important, it makes the sound MUCH MUCH cleaner than first changing the pitch and then the tempo, you can try it out yourself ;)
Click the picture for my Youtube Channel ;)
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » May 31st, 2012, 2:20 pm

Well dang it man, when I mentioned my "lossless" method, I didn't even realize the instructions on the front page didn't say to use 'Change speed', especially since that's what I used to compare the audio quality to my method!

Ha ha ha, oh wow.
Etch

Post by Etch » September 13th, 2012, 8:05 am

Just a quick tutorial on how to speed up songs in Pro Tools (if you somehow have access to it (I really, really don't suggest buying it just for making Nightcore)).

This method is probably up the more advanced end of the spectrum.

1. Import song and drag it into a new track
2. Go to AudioSuite > Pitch Shift > Time Shift
3. In the Audio section set Mode to Varispeed (So you are changing both Tempo and Pitch at the same time)
4. Either set it to a desired tempo in the processed section (you may have needed to identified a beat first), Adjust the speed by increasing the percentage (you might want to play around with this a bit) or if you know how many semi-tones you want to increase the pitch by just Transpose it under pitch.
5. Hit Render (It won't change it until you do so)
The way that Pro Tools handles tempo and pitch means that very little to no quality is lost when it is rendered meaning that you can safely change the tempo and re-render until you've found a speed you like

If you're done there simply go File > Bounce to > Disk... and save it. Otherwise feel free to play with the inserts in the track a bit.

Pretty much the benefit of Pro tools is the way that it handles tempo and pitch and the final output quality (Unless you break something, it's going to be the same as input).
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » September 13th, 2012, 2:05 pm

I presume that method is essentially the same as the "Set Rate" function in Audacity? As I stated earlier, that is also lossless (assuming you're not importing with lossy formats), but the method was shot down with essentially "nobody pays attention to the quality anyway, they'll end up doing it however regardless"
NightCoreEffect

Post by NightCoreEffect » October 27th, 2012, 1:01 am

Hi~! I'm new to the nightcore world. Been nightcoring for about a year. So, should I be using wavepad or audacity? (Here's my channel LOL shameless advertising https://www.youtube.com/user/NightCoreEf ... ature=mhee)