Will SoundCloud remove tracks due to copyright?

Anything and everything that doesn't fit in another section.
aether

Will SoundCloud remove tracks due to copyright?

Post by aether » May 14th, 2015, 4:11 am

I have heard about many instances of nightcore tracks being removed from YouTube, but I haven't heard much about SoundCloud, whose copyright policies have tightened over the years. I want to upload a nightcore DJ mix, but am afraid some/all of the tracks may be removed.
HKO2006

Re: Will SoundCloud remove tracks due to copyright?

Post by HKO2006 » May 14th, 2015, 4:28 am

Now YouTube has content ID and more labels are willing to put ads than just remove the videos so it is less common to see channel being took down now compare to previous years. Don't know the situation in SoundCloud but I think if the labels/producers are determined to remove the songs, they surely can <- the question is the likelihood and the consequences. Not a frequent SC user so IDK either.
Welcome to Nightcore Universe! Enjoy your stay as much as you enjoy the original Nightcore songs!
Useful threads/links
What is Nightcore 101
Nightcore Channel Database
Nightcore Know Your Meme
How to make Nightcore (NIGHTCORE TUTORIAL) UPDATED
Speeding up seems to be a little magic making things a little bit more appealing.

emilemil1

Post by emilemil1 » May 14th, 2015, 11:30 am

Copyright is enforced MUCH harder on SoundCloud than on YouTube, its automatic detection is so aggressive that it often removes original tracks thinking they are remixes, which many producers I follow often complain about.

I've had about half of the tracks I've uploaded removed, both originals and Nightcore. There doesn't seem to be any repercussions though, no strikes like on YouTube, though you can't re-upload the same track afterwards.
aether

Post by aether » May 14th, 2015, 11:36 am

What about Bandcamp? :)
HKO2006

Post by HKO2006 » May 14th, 2015, 11:55 am

I wonder is your underlying question 'what site is safe to upload nightcore' ?
Welcome to Nightcore Universe! Enjoy your stay as much as you enjoy the original Nightcore songs!
Useful threads/links
What is Nightcore 101
Nightcore Channel Database
Nightcore Know Your Meme
How to make Nightcore (NIGHTCORE TUTORIAL) UPDATED
Speeding up seems to be a little magic making things a little bit more appealing.

emilemil1

Post by emilemil1 » May 14th, 2015, 12:00 pm

For mixes you can always use dedicated sites for that, such as Mixcloud, Mixcrate, etc.

If you want any sort of visibility though, YouTube is the way to go, that's where 99% of the people are. If the tracks in your mix are layered well enough, it should be pretty well-protected from copyright takedowns simply because it won't be easy for people to listen to or download an individual track from it. There are of course still some labels/artists who will insist on taking your video down, but they should be relatively few.
aether

Post by aether » May 14th, 2015, 12:29 pm

Thanks! :) I know about Mixcloud. It's just that SoundCloud and Bandcamp are the two main websites I use for music.
aether

Post by aether » May 14th, 2015, 12:32 pm

FTR I've seen someone upload an entire 94 song album nightcored onto Bandcamp no problem, but I don't think the original artist/s are that big on copyright.

https://glitterfortress.bandcamp.com/al ... ight-party
emilemil1

Post by emilemil1 » May 14th, 2015, 12:39 pm

I doubt Bandcamp has any sort of automatic detection, and if they do, the speed-up probably throws it off. Lots of people have tried to make some easy money from Nightcore so it's not exactly something new. Try searching on Spotify :P